Can Proportional Variation be Deduced Algebraically from Given Equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between variables A, B, and C. It is observed that when C is kept constant and A and B are varied, A is proportional to B. Similarly, when B is kept constant and A and C are varied, A is proportional to C. From these two observations, it is deduced that A is also proportional to the product of B and C. However, it is unclear how this can be algebraically deduced from the given equations. It is suggested that this can be achieved by assuming k and i to be functions of C and B, respectively, and deducing that A must be proportional to jBC.
dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Consider the following situation :

There are three variables A, B and C. (and i,j,k are constants )
Keeping C constant, and varying the other two, you find that

A = kB ------(1)

Now, Keeping B constant, and varying the other two, you find that

A = iC ------(2)

I know that it follows from these two observations that

A = jBC

But I am not sure how we can algebraically deduce this from the equations (1) and (2).

We get [tex] A^2 = ikBC [/tex]

Presumably, [tex] ik = \sqrt{j}BC [/tex]
But how do we deduce this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have

[tex]A = k(C) \times B = i(B) \times C[/tex]

where k and i are functions of C and B, respectively. If B and C are independent variables then the only way k(C)B and i(B)C can be equal is if k is proportional to C and i is proportional to B. Therefore, A = jBC.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is meant by "proportional variation"?

Proportional variation is a mathematical relationship between two variables in which one variable changes in direct proportion to changes in the other variable. This means that as one variable increases or decreases, the other variable changes by a consistent factor.

2. How is proportional variation different from direct variation?

Proportional variation and direct variation are often used interchangeably, but they actually have slight differences. Proportional variation refers to the relationship between two variables, while direct variation specifically refers to the relationship between two variables that are directly proportional to each other with a constant of proportionality.

3. What is the formula for proportional variation?

The formula for proportional variation is y = kx, where y and x are the two variables and k is the constant of proportionality. This formula can also be written as y/x = k or y = kx + 0, which shows the relationship between the two variables in terms of slope and y-intercept.

4. How can proportional variation be represented graphically?

Proportional variation can be represented graphically by a straight line passing through the origin (0,0). This is because as one variable changes, the other variable changes by a constant factor, resulting in a linear relationship.

5. What are some real-life examples of proportional variation?

Proportional variation can be seen in many real-life situations, such as the relationship between speed and distance traveled (the faster you travel, the more distance you cover in the same amount of time), the relationship between mass and weight (doubling the mass of an object will double its weight), and the relationship between time and distance (the longer you travel, the farther you will go).