Propositional Calculus: Is Algebra's Problem-Solver? Example

• MHB
  • Thread starter solakis1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses whether there is a corresponding problem in propositional calculus for every problem in algebra. The example given is the fact that a polynomial of degree $n$ in a field has at most $n$ roots. It is mentioned that logicists have attempted to reduce all mathematics to logic, but it is not clear how to translate first-order statements into propositional logic. The conversation ends with a proposed proof in propositional logic for the given example.
solakis1
Is there to every problem in Algebra a corresponding problem in propositional calculus??

Give an example

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think so, but one has to define "algebra" and "corresponding" more carefully. For example, I don't know what propositional formula would correspond to the fact that a polynomial of degree $n$ in a field has at most $n$ roots.

However, I heard that logicists tried to reduce all mathematics to logic, and in particular they thought they reduced true arithmetic identities on natural numbers without variables (like 7 + 5 = 12) to propositional tautologies.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I don't think so, but one has to define "algebra" and "corresponding" more carefully. For example, I don't know what propositional formula would correspond to the fact that a polynomial of degree $n$ in a field has at most $n$ roots.

However, I heard that logicists tried to reduce all mathematics to logic, and in particular they thought they reduced true arithmetic identities on natural numbers without variables (like 7 + 5 = 12) to propositional tautologies.

You mean logicians?
lLet us be more precise. Let us say ordered fields(without the axiom of continuity).Theoretically speaking since every proof in ordered fields is based on 1st order logic which concists of propositional and predicate calculus ,there should be a propositional proof corresponding to every proof.

For example in the following simple proof what is the relevant propositional proof ccorresponding to that proof??

a>1 & b>2 => a>0 &b>0 => ab>0 => ab>= 0

solakis said:
You mean logicians?
No, I mean supporters of logicism.

solakis said:
Let us say ordered fields(without the axiom of continuity).Theoretically speaking since every proof in ordered fields is based on 1st order logic which concists of propositional and predicate calculus
Yes.

solakis said:
there should be a propositional proof corresponding to every proof.
It is not clear how to translate first-order statements, let alone proofs, into propositional logic. First-order logic is used for a reason, because it is much more expressive.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
No, I mean supporters of logicism.

Yes.

It is not clear how to translate first-order statements, let alone proofs, into propositional logic. First-order logic is used for a reason, because it is much more expressive.

Why,if in the previous proof we put:

a>1=A, b>2=B, 1>0=C, 2>0=D, a>0=E,b>0=F, ab>0=G, (ab=0)=H,then the proof in the propositional logic corresponding to the above proof is it not the following??

IF,
1. A^C=>E
2. B^D=>F
3. E^F=> G
4.D
5.C
THEN A^B=>GvH

Related to Propositional Calculus: Is Algebra's Problem-Solver? Example

1. What is propositional calculus?

Propositional calculus is a branch of mathematical logic that deals with the study of logical statements, also known as propositions. It involves the use of symbols and rules to manipulate these propositions and determine their truth values.

2. How does propositional calculus relate to algebra?

Propositional calculus and algebra both use symbols and rules to manipulate mathematical expressions. In propositional calculus, the symbols represent logical propositions, while in algebra, the symbols represent numbers and variables. Both fields also use similar methods of problem-solving and reasoning.

3. Can propositional calculus be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, propositional calculus can be applied to real-world problems in various fields such as computer science, artificial intelligence, and linguistics. It is used to analyze and evaluate complex logical statements and determine their validity.

4. What are some common applications of propositional calculus?

Some common applications of propositional calculus include automated reasoning, theorem proving, and computer programming. It is also used in the development of logical systems and in the study of logical paradoxes.

5. Is knowledge of algebra necessary to understand propositional calculus?

No, knowledge of algebra is not necessary to understand propositional calculus. However, some basic understanding of mathematical concepts and symbols may be helpful in learning the rules and principles of propositional calculus.