Prove (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/(xyz)>=8 with x,y,z Positive Real Numbers

• Thread starter inferi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the conversation discusses a challenging math problem that asks for a proof involving positive real numbers. Multiple users suggest different approaches, with the final solution being to prove the inequality by assuming each variable is 1 or greater.
inferi
hi,
there is a challenging problem that no one could answer it,so here it is if anyone wants to try:
if x,z,y are all positive real numbers prove that:

(1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/(xyz)>=8

so anyone can help please? thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...you could try to start out with:
[tex](1-x)^{2}(1-y)^{2}(1-z)^{2}\geq{0}[/tex]
This can be rearranged as:
[tex]((1+x^{2})-2x)((1+y^{2})-2y)((1+z^{2})-2z)\geq{0}[/tex]
Perhaps this might yield something

inferi said:
hi,
there is a challenging problem that no one could answer it,so here it is if anyone wants to try:
if x,z,y are all positive real numbers prove that:

(1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/(xyz)>=8

so anyone can help please? thank you.
Hello,

I am not a native english speaker, so be warned :-).
This problem is simple really.
For any real number we have
(1-x)^2>=0, so 1+x^2>=2x;
(1-y)^2>=0, so 1+y^2>=2y;
(1-z)^2>=0, so 1+z^2>=2z.

Lets plug these inequalities into the left part of inequality we want to prove:
(1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/xyz >= (2x * 2y * 2z)/xyz=2*2*2=8.
So, we have (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/(xyz)>=8.
Proved :-)
Hope, this helps.

Dear, oh dear, you're right. How simple..

Here's another one:
We may rewrite the the expression as:
[tex]f(x,y,z)=g(x)*g(y)*g(z), g(x)=x+\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
Thus, the minimum value will occur at:
[tex]g'(x)=g'(y)=g'(z)=0\to{x}=y=z=1[/tex]

Last edited:
Didn't the paniure give that proof already, Kummer?

arildno said:
Didn't the paniure give that proof already, Kummer?
Yes he did. I should be more careful lest someone accuse me of stealing answers. I deleted my post otherwise it does not look good.

Hmm..more likely, it was the not-bothering-reading-all-the-posts syndrome you were the victim of.

I believe you are forgiven. :smile:

it's simple, just assume that each one is 1 or more so it will work for all of the integers from 1 and above

Related to Prove (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/(xyz)>=8 with x,y,z Positive Real Numbers

1. How do I prove the inequality (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/(xyz)>=8 with x,y,z Positive Real Numbers?

To prove this inequality, we can use the AM-GM inequality, which states that for any positive real numbers a and b, (a+b)/2 is greater than or equal to the square root of ab. We can apply this to the terms (1+x^2), (1+y^2), and (1+z^2) by setting a=x^2 and b=1, and then taking the product of the three inequalities. This results in (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2) being greater than or equal to (xyz)^2. By taking the square root of both sides, we get (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/(xyz)>=xyz, and since x,y,z are positive, xyz is always greater than or equal to 2^3=8, thus proving the original inequality.

2. Can I use a different inequality to prove (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/(xyz)>=8 with x,y,z Positive Real Numbers?

Yes, there are multiple ways to prove this inequality. Another method is to use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which states that for any positive real numbers a, b, c, and d, (a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2)(c^2+d^2+a^2+b^2) is greater than or equal to (ac+bd)^2. By setting a=x, b=y, c=1, and d=1, we get (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+1^2)(1+1^2) being greater than or equal to (x+1)^2(y+1)^2. Expanding the right side and simplifying, we get (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/(xyz)>=8, thus proving the inequality.

3. Why do we need to specify that x,y,z are Positive Real Numbers in the inequality (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/(xyz)>=8?

Inequalities involving real numbers can be proven in different ways depending on whether the numbers are positive or negative. For example, the AM-GM inequality only holds true for positive real numbers. Therefore, specifying that x,y,z are positive real numbers is necessary in order to use certain methods of proving the inequality.

4. Can we use a different method to prove the inequality (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/(xyz)>=8 with x,y,z Positive Real Numbers?

Yes, there are various methods to prove this inequality. Another approach is to use the inequality (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)>=(1+|xyz|)^2, which can be proven by expanding the left side and using the fact that x,y,z are positive. Then, we can use the fact that (1+|xyz|)^2>=8|xyz|, which can be proven by setting |xyz|=a and using the AM-GM inequality. Combining these two steps, we get (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/(xyz)>=(1+|xyz|)^2/(|xyz|)>=8, thus proving the inequality.

5. Is it necessary to have all three variables x,y,z in the inequality (1+x^2)(1+y^2)(1+z^2)/(xyz)>=8?

Yes, all three variables are necessary in order to prove the inequality. If we only have two variables, then the inequality may not hold true. For example, if we only have (1+x^2)(1+y^2)/(xy)>=8, this can be disproven by setting x=y=2, which results in (1+2^2)(1+2^2)/(2*2)=25/4<8. Therefore, all three variables are needed in order to prove the inequality.