Proving Convergence of Sequence 2^(-n)

• Thread starter jrsweet
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using the definition of convergence to prove that the sequence {2^(-n)} converges. The attempt at a solution involves choosing a positive integer N and comparing 2^(-n) to a larger value to find an N. Different methods, such as finding the limit or using the ratio test, are suggested to find an appropriate N. Ultimately, it is concluded that the sequence converges to 0.
jrsweet

Homework Statement

Using the definition of convergence to prove that the sequence {2^(-n)} converges

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I just don't think I am thinking straight or something. Here is what I got so far:

Chose e>0. Let N be any positive integer greater than ______.

How do I chose the N? Do I need to compare 2^(-n) to something larger to be able to find an N? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jrsweet said:

Homework Statement

Using the definition of convergence to prove that the sequence {2^(-n)} converges

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I just don't think I am thinking straight or something. Here is what I got so far:

Chose e>0. Let N be any positive integer greater than ______.

How do I chose the N? Do I need to compare 2^(-n) to something larger to be able to find an N? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
First off, if you're going to prove that the sequence {2-n} converges to some value, you have to know what that value is. In other words, what is
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} 2^{-n}?[/tex]

I don't see any evidence that you know what this value is; at least you didn't include that information in your post.

Second, show us that you know the definition of a sequence converging to some value.

Chose e>0. Let N be any positive integer greater than 1/e. Then, for n>=N we have

|1/(2n)-0| < |1/n|= (1/n) <= (1/N) < (1/(1/e)) = e

Thus, the sequence converges to 0??

Does that look right?

Yes, that looks ok. But you really didn't need the 1/n part. You could have just tried to find an N such that 1/2^N<e.

I was confused how to find it that way. I tried this:

1/2N < e
1/e < 2N
ln(1/e) < Nln2
ln(1/e)/ln2 < N

does that work?

jrsweet said:
I was confused how to find it that way. I tried this:

1/2N < e
1/e < 2N
ln(1/e) < Nln2
ln(1/e)/ln2 < N

does that work?

Yes. Pick N>ln(1/e)/ln(2).

I used the Ratio Test. I am not sure I did it correctly but here it goes.

lim n->inf {[2^(-n+1)]/[2^(-n)]}
= lim n-> inf {[2^(-n)*(1/2)]/[2^(-n)]
=lim n-> inf (1/2) = 1/2 < 1 Therefore by the ratio test the series converges.

Does this look right?

malachi31 said:
I used the Ratio Test. I am not sure I did it correctly but here it goes.

lim n->inf {[2^(-n+1)]/[2^(-n)]}
= lim n-> inf {[2^(-n)*(1/2)]/[2^(-n)]
=lim n-> inf (1/2) = 1/2 < 1 Therefore by the ratio test the series converges.

Does this look right?

That's fine. But the original problem was to show the SEQUENCE converge by the DEFINITION (using epsilons etc). You proved the SERIES converges using the RATIO test. That does imply the sequence converges, but it's not what's being asked for.

What does it mean for 2-n to converge?

Convergence refers to the behavior of a mathematical sequence, where the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a specific value. In this case, for 2-n to converge means that as n increases, the value of 2-n approaches a certain limit.

What is the formula for 2-n?

The formula for 2-n is 1/2n. This means that as n increases, the value of 2-n decreases.

How do you prove that 2-n converges?

To prove that 2-n converges, we need to show that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a specific value as n increases. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as the limit definition or the comparison test.

What is the limit of 2-n as n approaches infinity?

The limit of 2-n as n approaches infinity is 0. This means that as n increases, the value of 2-n gets closer and closer to 0.

Why is proving the convergence of 2-n important?

Proving the convergence of 2-n is important in understanding the behavior of this sequence. It also allows us to use the sequence in various mathematical calculations and applications, knowing that it will approach a specific value as n increases.