1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove a complex set defined by inequalities is open

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the set D = {z in C; |z^2 - 1| < 1} is open

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have to show that for any z in D, there exists r > 0 s.t. the nbhd N(z,r) is contained in D. Let w in N(z,r) => |z - w| < r. Need to show |w^2 - 1| < 1 for some r > 0.

I tried |w^2 - 1| = |(w^2 - z^2) + (z^2 - 1)| <= |w - z||w + z| + |z^2 - 1|,

but since we have |z^2 - 1| < 1 already, it doesn't seem to help much. Not sure what else to try. Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So that looks pretty good...for a given z, let |z2-1| be equal to 1-e for some (probably small) e. |w2-1| <= |w-z||w+z| + 1 - e < 1 if e>|w-z||w+z|

When |w-z| is really small, what can you say about |w+z|, and then what can you say about comparing e and |w-z|

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    hmm |w + z| then approaches 2|z| ? Giving then e > 2|z||w - z|? and?

5. Oct 1, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know what e is. You know what z is. Your goal is to find how small |w-z| is. What can you do with the inequality?

Also note that |w+z| is not going to be exactly 2|z|, you should allow a little wiggle room (for example, say |w+z|<2.1|z| then when you pick r, pick it to be either what's required from your calculation, or what's required to make |w+z|<2.1|z|, whichever is smaller)

6. Oct 1, 2009 #5
    But can't we choose r = |w - z| < e/|w + z| instead of r < e/2.1|z| ? Then we would have the inequality satisfied no?

7. Oct 1, 2009 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't define r in terms of w, since w is picked based on what r is!

8. Oct 1, 2009 #7
    oops meant r = e/|w + z|. sry about that.

9. Oct 1, 2009 #8
    But if we pick a w based on what r is, how can we prove any w in the nbhd is in D?

10. Oct 1, 2009 #9
    Maybe I misunderstood. I will check again next morning. I'm off to bed. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook