Prove a composite function is increasing

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the function g(x) = f(x)/x is increasing for all x>0, given that f is continuous and differentiable for all x>0 and f(0)=0. The Quotient Rule is used to write g' = [xf'(x) - f(x)]/x^2, and it is proven that for g to be increasing, xf'(x) - f(x) must be >= 0. The Mean Value Theorem is then used to show that f'(x) >= f(x)/x for all x>0, thus proving that g(x) is increasing. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help.
Salzburg

Homework Statement

Hi,
I have trouble proving this claim and would really appreciate your help =). Thank you in advance!
So here's the question: Suppose that f is a continuous function for all x>= 0 and differentiable for all x> 0. Also, f(0) = 0 and f' (1st derivative of f) is increasing on its domain Define
g(x) = f(x)/ x for x >0.
Show that g is increasing for all x >0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the Quotion Rule to write g' = [xf'(x) - f(x)]/ x^2.
For g to be increasing, g' must be >= 0 --> the question becomes: proving xf'(x) - f(x) >= 0.
Since f' is increasing -> f'(x) > = f(0) with x >0
--> It is sufficient to have xf'(0) - f(x) >0
I wrote f'(0): by definition of derivative:
f'(0) = lim [f(x) - f(0)]/ x-0 for x --> 0
= lim f(x)/x
Here I got stuck with the limit; it does not allow me to cross-multiple the terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
so rearranging it remains to show that
[tex] f'(x) > \frac{f(x)}{x}[/tex]

continuous & differentiable work with the mean value theorem, so there exists 0<c<x such that
[tex]f(c) = \frac{f(x) -f(0)}{x-0}[/tex]

Thanks for answering my question =). I couldn't believe that I didn't think about the Mean Value Theorem...

1. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a combination of two or more functions, where the output of one function becomes the input of another function.

2. How do you prove a composite function is increasing?

To prove that a composite function is increasing, you need to show that the slope of the function is always positive. This can be done by taking the derivative of the composite function and showing that it is always greater than 0.

3. Can a composite function be both increasing and decreasing?

No, a composite function cannot be both increasing and decreasing. It can only be either increasing or decreasing at any given point.

4. What is the role of the individual functions in a composite function?

The individual functions in a composite function act as building blocks, where the output of one function becomes the input of another function. Each function contributes to the overall behavior of the composite function.

5. Are there any specific rules for proving a composite function is increasing?

Yes, there are specific rules for proving a composite function is increasing. One such rule is the chain rule, which states that the derivative of a composite function is the product of the derivatives of the individual functions.