1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove: A mapping f:S->T is bijective if and only if it has an inverse?

1. Jun 18, 2004 #1
    Can a mapping from f:S->T associate an element of s into several elements of T? Also, how do you prove: A mapping f:S->T is bijective if and only if it has an inverse?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. "mapping" is another word for "function". Part of the definition of function is that f(x) be a single value.

f:S-> T is bijective iplies f has an inverse:

Let y be any member of T. Since f is bijective it is both one-to-one (injective) and onto (surjective). Since f is surjective, there exist at least one member of S, x, such that f(x)= y. Since f is injective, there is only one such. Define g: T->S by g(y)= x.
    Now show that that is a function and is the inverse of f.

f has an inverse implies f is bijective.

i) for any y in T, let x= f-1(y). Then, by definition of inverse, f(x)= y so f is surjective.

ii) suppose f(x1)= f(x2). Applying f-1 to both sides of the equation f-1(f(x1)= f-1(x2)
    x1= x2
    so f is injective.

Since f is both injective and surjective, it is bijective.

4. Jun 19, 2004 #3
    To take things into an account, I remember in discrete maths - a bit like computational mathematics or rather, it is computational mathematics - we define set |R| = |{1,1,1,1}| as 4. As there are four items in the set. Now, in the other extreme, let S = {1}, then |S| = |{1}| = 1. So in effect the sets R and S have different properties.

One other thing is that, once again, in computer science, R = {1,1,1,1} and S = {1} are two totally different sets. Lets map (+2) to both sides and find the total sum of all the elements in the sets, i.e., {sum (map (+2) R)} and {sum (map (+2) S)}.

sum (map (+2) R) = sum {3,3,3,3} = 12
    sum (map (+2) S) = sum {1} = 1 /= 12 = sum (map (+2) R)
    and as function applied two both sets are equal, R and S are not equal.

However, answering your question, even in computer science the values of each element after mapping only takes 1 value from the image. i.e., notice that (map (+2) R) = {3,3,3,3}. So 1 -> 3 by mapping. And each element valued 1, goes to exactly one value in the image of f, that is 3.

But as I said, this is in computer science and most of the computer applications - although duplicates are considered nasty in some cases.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  5. Jun 19, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The set {1,1,1,1} contains only one element. you aren't allowed to repeat elements in a set.

6. Jun 21, 2004 #5
    I meant cardinalities... yes my wordings were pretty poor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?