Is the Adjoint of an Invertible Operator Also Invertible?

• Thread starter redyelloworange
  • Start date
In summary: T* is invertible, but not sure that is true.In summary, T* is invertible, and so (T-1)* is its inverse.
redyelloworange

Homework Statement

Let V be a finite-dimensional inner product space, and let T be a linear operator on V. Prove that if T is invertible, then T* is invertible and (T*)^-1 = (T^-1)*

Homework Equations

As shown above.
<T(x),y> = <x,T*(y)>

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I figure you only need to show that the equation holds, that shows that T* is invertible, since its inverse exists.
Now, I try to do something with the inner products:

<(T^-1)(x),y> = <x,(T^-1)*(y)>

I’m not sure how to “flip” inverse and the star.

Thanks for your help! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with <T*(T-1)*x,y> and see what you end up with.

<T*(T-1)*x,y> = <T*(x), T-1(y)> = <(T-1)*x,T(y)> = <x, (T-1)(T)y> = <x,y>

so T*(T-1)* = I, so (T-1)* is the inverse of T*, hence (T-1)* = (T*)-1)

thanks! =)

Step 1 is to deduce that <T*(T-1)*x,y> = <x,y>. Once you get that, step 2 is exactly what you did:

T*(T-1)* = I, so (T-1)* is the inverse of T*, hence (T-1)* = (T*)-1

But you appear to have done step 1 wrong. You made the right conclusion, but all your steps look invalid. For example, you first line is of the form <A*B*x,y> = <A*x,By>. Why is this wrong in general? Well if it were always true, we'd get:

<A*B*x,y> = <A*x,By>
<A*B*x,y> = <B*A*x,y>
<(A*B* - B*A*)x,y> = 0 (for all y)
A*B* - B*A* = 0
AB = BA (in general, i.e. for all A and B)

But matrix multiplication is not commutative in general, so this is wrong. Try again.

then how is?

Then do it being very careful about order.

<A*B*x,y> = <B*x,Ay>= <x, BAy>.

<B*A*x,y>= <A*x, By>= <x, ABy>.

Understand but, In first prove (T* is invertivel) but how sure that <T*(T-1)*x,y> = <x,y> , if i don't know that (TT-1) is I, because is just that want will prove

Related to Is the Adjoint of an Invertible Operator Also Invertible?

What does it mean for a matrix to be adjoint invertible?

A matrix is said to be adjoint invertible if its adjoint matrix (also known as the conjugate transpose) is also invertible. This means that the matrix can be multiplied by its adjoint to give the identity matrix.

Why is it important to prove if a matrix is adjoint invertible?

Proving that a matrix is adjoint invertible is important because it guarantees that the matrix has a unique inverse. This means that it is possible to undo any transformations performed by the matrix, making it a useful tool in various mathematical and scientific applications.

How do you prove that a matrix is adjoint invertible?

To prove that a matrix is adjoint invertible, you need to show that its adjoint matrix has a non-zero determinant. If the determinant is equal to zero, then the matrix is not invertible. Additionally, you can also show that the matrix multiplied by its adjoint gives the identity matrix.

What are the properties of an adjoint invertible matrix?

Some properties of an adjoint invertible matrix include: having a unique inverse, being a square matrix, having a non-zero determinant, and being diagonalizable. Additionally, the adjoint of an adjoint invertible matrix is also adjoint invertible.

Can a non-square matrix be adjoint invertible?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be adjoint invertible. This is because the adjoint of a non-square matrix is not defined. In order for a matrix to have an adjoint, it must be a square matrix (same number of rows and columns).