Prove Convolution is Commutative

• Thread starter cassiew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convolution
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of convolution for two continuous, periodic functions and the problem of showing that the convolution is commutative. The solution involves interchanging variables and considering the correct form of the integrand, f(t)g(u-t).
cassiew

Homework Statement

Let f,g be two continuous, periodic functions bounded by
[tex]
[-\pi,\pi]
[/tex]

Define the convolution of f and g by

[tex]
(f*g)(u)=(\frac{-1}{2\pi})\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}f(t)g(t-u)dt.
[/tex]

Show that
[tex]
(f*g)(u)=(g*f)(u)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the way I'm supposed to do this is by interchanging variables, but I'm stuck. If I let k=t-u and try to switch the variables around, I end up with (-1/2pi) times the integral of g(k)f(k+u)dk. Am I doing this wrong? Is there a better way to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
can you check the integral of f(t)g(t-u) or f(t)g(u-t)

Are you sure you stated the problem correctly? Shouldn't the integrand in the convolution be f(t)g(u-t)? That might help.

1. How do you prove that convolution is commutative?

To prove that convolution is commutative, you need to show that the order of the functions being convolved does not affect the result. This can be done by using the definition of convolution and showing that the result is the same regardless of the order of the functions.

2. What is the definition of convolution?

Convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to produce a third function. It is often used in signal processing and image processing to describe the relationship between two signals or images.

3. Why is it important to prove that convolution is commutative?

Proving that convolution is commutative is important because it ensures that the order of operations does not affect the result. This allows for easier calculations and simplification of equations in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

4. Are there any exceptions to the commutative property of convolution?

Yes, there are some cases where convolution is not commutative. For example, if the functions being convolved are not defined over the same interval or if one of the functions is not integrable, then the commutative property does not hold.

5. How is the commutative property of convolution used in real-world applications?

The commutative property of convolution is used in various real-world applications, such as image processing, audio processing, and digital filtering. It allows for efficient and accurate manipulation of signals and images, making it a fundamental concept in many fields of science and technology.