Deriving Current from Drift Velocity Basics

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a formula for calculating the current carried by a conductor. The formula involves the number of charge carriers per unit volume, the drift velocity of the charge carriers, and the area of the conductor. The conversation also includes a step-by-step explanation of how to understand and use the formula.
Scopesys
I've been sitting at my desk trying to prove this and nothing, already tried googling.. Any help guys? I want to know how to derive it from basic principles.
Thanks

How I came by it: I'm a high school student and was doing my exam then get asked about drift velocity and it's not even in the syllabus and hence in not in any of my books >_<

All I could find on it is===>

This formula is used to calculate the current carried by a conductor in which we know the charge carrier density and the drift velocity of the charge carriers

I: current
n: # of charge carriers per unit volume
q: charge
v: drift velocity
A: area of conductor in which charges are moving

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] I [/itex] is the current, so the amount of charge passing through the surface you get when you cut the wire perpendicular to the direction of flow (area [itex] A [/itex]), per second. Try to imagine, before starting your watch, which electrons will pass through the surface during one second (say the flow is from left to right, you might want to make a drawing). Of course, all the electrons very close to the surface on the left side will surely pass through (you also see that the precise position of the electrons is not important, only the distance to the surface, because they presumably <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">travel</a> in straight lines). But how far back left can you go, still being assured that these electrons will pass through the surface during that one second? To know this, you have to calculate the distance an electron will travel in one second (I'm sure you can do that). So this is how far back in the wire you can go (electrons further will not reach the surface in time). You can now see that the electrons that will pass through the wire in one second are precisely the electrons in the volume starting from the position you calculated (the perpendicular slice, that is) up to the surface itself. Using the given [itex] n [/itex] you can calculate the amount of charge in that volume, and get the formula you need.

Wire with a uniform cross sectional area A.
A piece of wire with length x has volume A x.
The wire has n free electrons per unit volume.
The number of free electrons in that volume of wire is n A x.
Each electron has charge e.
The total charge in that volume of the wire is Q = e n A x.
In a time t, the charge in that volume flows past a reference point on the wire.
The rate at which the charge flows is I = Q / t = e n A x / t.
x/t is the drift velocity v,
therefore I = e n A v.

1. What is drift velocity?

Drift velocity is the average velocity at which free electrons in a conductor move in response to an electric field. It is a result of the collisions between the free electrons and the atoms in the conductor.

2. How is drift velocity related to current?

Drift velocity is directly proportional to the current in a conductor. This means that as the drift velocity increases, the current also increases.

3. What factors affect drift velocity?

The drift velocity of electrons in a conductor is affected by the strength of the electric field, the density of free electrons, and the cross-sectional area of the conductor.

4. Can drift velocity be measured?

Yes, drift velocity can be measured using various experimental techniques such as the Hall effect or the cathode ray tube experiment.

5. How is drift velocity used in practical applications?

Drift velocity is used in various practical applications such as in the design of electronic devices, in the production of electric current in power plants, and in the transportation of electricity through power lines.