Prove Identity: csc2@= 1/(1-(sin@-cos@)^2

• Thread starter synergix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, "csc2@" stands for the cosecant function squared in the given equation. To solve for "@", one can rearrange the equation using algebraic manipulation and simplify it using trigonometric identities. The domain of the equation is all real numbers except when the denominator is equal to 0, which can be proven using Pythagorean and double angle identities.
synergix

Homework Statement

Prove:
csc2@= 1/(1-(sin@-cos@)^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck can't seem to work this on out. I'm not seeing the relationship between the two

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried again and ended up with 1/sin2@=1/-sin2@

erg

On the right side, [itex](sin(\theta)- cos(\theta))^2= sin^2(\theta)- 2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)[/itex]
[itex]= 1- 2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)[/itex]
so [itex]1- (sin(\theta)- cos(\theta))^2= 2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)[/itex]

Do you recognize that as [itex]sin(2\theta)[/itex]?

mental error I got it

FAQ: Prove Identity: csc2@= 1/(1-(sin@-cos@)^2

1. What does "csc2@" mean in the equation?

The symbol "csc" stands for the cosecant function, which is the reciprocal of the sine function. The 2 after the symbol indicates that the function is being squared.

2. How do you solve for @ in the equation?

To solve for @, you can rearrange the equation using algebraic manipulation. First, expand the square in the denominator, then move all terms containing @ to one side of the equation. Finally, divide both sides by the remaining terms to isolate @.

3. Can the equation be simplified?

Yes, the equation can be simplified by using trigonometric identities. Specifically, the identity "1-(sin@-cos@)^2 = cos^2@+sin^2@-2sin@cos@" can be used to simplify the denominator, resulting in the equation "csc2@ = 1/(cos^2@+sin^2@-2sin@cos@)."

4. What is the domain of the equation?

The domain of the equation is all real numbers except when the denominator is equal to 0. This occurs when the value of @ makes the cosine function equal to 0, which happens at angles of 90 degrees, 270 degrees, etc. These values must be excluded from the domain.

5. How can you prove the identity in the equation?

To prove the identity, you can use the Pythagorean identity "cos^2@+sin^2@ = 1" and the double angle identity "2sin@cos@ = sin2@", where sin2@ is equal to 2sin@cos@. Substituting these identities into the simplified equation gives "csc2@ = 1/(1-sin2@)."

Back