Prove if x,y are reals that |xy| = |x||y|

• Thread starter Of Mike and Men
  • Start date
In summary, we can prove that for real numbers x and y, |xy| = |x||y| by considering three cases: x,y > 0, x,y < 0, and either x or y < 0 but not both. In each case, we can see that the absolute value of the product of x and y is equal to the product of the absolute values of x and y. Another proof using the product rule for square roots shows the same result.
Of Mike and Men

Homework Statement

This is my second proofs course, but I've always felt uncomfortable with absolute values and inequalities because I feel like my proofs are circular or too simple. In this case, I'm not sure if I'm showing enough in my steps.

I would just like to know if this is a way to prove this. I've seen other results online, but I want to be sure I understand this.

Homework Equations

Prove if x,y are reals that |xy| = |x||y|

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x,y belong to the set of real numbers. Since |xy|=|x||y|=0 if either x or y is 0, we can assume that x,y is non-zero.

Case 1: x,y > 0
|xy| = xy = |x||y|

Case 2: x,y < 0
|xy| = (-x) (-y) = |x||y|

Case 3: Either x or y < 0, but not both
WLOG let x < 0 and y > 0 then
|xy| = (-x)(y) = |x||y|

.:. |xy| = |x||y| for x,y in the set of real numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is correct. If one wants to be very petty, then an argument, why we may assume ##x<0## and ##y>0## without loss of generality should be added, like symmetry or the possible swap to ##-x,-y##. Good authors add this reason to help their readers to figure out what to do in an opposite case. Of course the length of the w.l.o.g. argument is longer than the fourth case would have been in this case.

Likes Of Mike and Men
fresh_42 said:
Yes, this is correct. If one wants to be very petty, then an argument, why we may assume ##x<0## and ##y>0## without loss of generality should be added, like symmetry or the possible swap to ##-x,-y##. Good authors add this reason to help their readers to figure out what to do in an opposite case. Of course the length of the w.l.o.g. argument is longer than the fourth case would have been in this case.

Thanks. To be sure, I don't need to show an intermittent step on some of the cases? E.G.
Case 2:
x,y < 0
|(-x)(-y)| = |xy| = xy = |x||y|

It's stuff like this where I'm not sure my approach is sufficient in the cases which gives me the feeling of uncertainty.

Of Mike and Men said:
Thanks. To be sure, I don't need to show an intermittent step on some of the cases? E.G.
Case 2:
x,y < 0
|(-x)(-y)| = |xy| = xy = |x||y|

It's stuff like this where I'm not sure my approach is sufficient in the cases which gives me the feeling of uncertainty.
Formally you would have to. But you left out a few steps: ##|xy|=|(-x)(-y)|\stackrel{(1)}{=}|(-x)|\cdot |(-y)|\stackrel{D}{=}|x| \cdot |y|## by case (1), which we already know is true, and property ##D## of the absolute value function. And in case you don't have ##|x|=|-x|## you have to insert these steps, too, like you did with the detour to ##|x| = -x## for negative ##x##.

All these subtle steps are needed, if we want to figure out which part of the definition or which axioms are actually used. So for the same reason it would have to be ##|x\cdot 0|=|0 \cdot y|=|0|= 0 = |x| \cdot 0 = 0 \cdot |y| = |x| \cdot |0| = |0| \cdot |y|## where you also could label each equation with the property used. However, in this example every proof between "obvious" to "a complete list with labeled equations" can be seen as correct.

Another proof:

##|xy| = \sqrt{(xy)^2} = \sqrt{x^2}\sqrt{y^2} = |x||y|##

Likes MarkFL

1. What is the meaning of |xy| = |x||y| in the context of real numbers?

In the context of real numbers, |xy| = |x||y| means that the absolute value of the product of two real numbers is equal to the product of their absolute values.

2. How can you prove that |xy| = |x||y| for any real numbers x and y?

There are a few different ways to prove this statement, but one common approach is to use the properties of absolute value and the distributive property of multiplication. Another approach is to use the fact that the product of two negative numbers is positive, and the product of a negative and positive number is negative, to show that |xy| = |x||y|.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate the statement |xy| = |x||y|?

Sure, for example, let x = -3 and y = 4. Then, |xy| = |-3 * 4| = 12, and |x||y| = |-3| * |4| = 3 * 4 = 12. Therefore, the statement holds true for these real numbers.

4. What happens if one of the real numbers x or y is equal to 0?

If one of the real numbers x or y is equal to 0, then the statement |xy| = |x||y| still holds true. This is because the absolute value of 0 is 0, so the product of the absolute values of x and y will also be 0, regardless of the value of the other number.

5. Does this statement hold true for complex numbers as well?

No, this statement only holds true for real numbers. This is because complex numbers have both a real and imaginary component, so the concept of absolute value is not the same as it is for real numbers. The statement |xy| = |x||y| is not applicable to complex numbers.