Prove of Statement, Calculus, Basic Properties of numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if a fraction is greater than 0, then the numerator and denominator must both be either positive or negative. This is demonstrated through the example of \frac{x-1}{x+1} > 0, where it is shown that if (x+1)^{-1} > 0, then x > 1 or x < -1. It is also mentioned that for any value of b, b and b^{-1} must have the same sign.
c.teixeira
hi there!

If ab > 0, then (a > 0 and b > 0) or (a < 0 and b < 0). This statement I can prove, just with the basic properties of numbers!

Then, 1[itex]/[/itex]b is defined as b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] right?

So, how does one prove that if [itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex] > 0, then (a > 0 and b > 0) or (a < 0 and b < 0)?

Can you give me the complete proog of that? Thanks!

For example, how does one prove that if [itex]\frac{x+1}{x-1}[/itex] > 0, then

x > 1 or x < -1?

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
So [itex]\frac{a}{b}>0[/itex] implies that [itex]ab^{-1}>0[/itex]. Now apply the property you could prove.

micromass said:
So [itex]\frac{a}{b}>0[/itex] implies that [itex]ab^{-1}>0[/itex]. Now apply the property you could prove.

So (a > 0 and b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] >0) or (a < 0 and b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] < 0 ). That is easy of course, but how do I know what b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] is?

In the example I made, how do I relate the variavle x, with that fact (x-1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] < 0, or (x-1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0?

c.teixeira said:
So (a > 0 and b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] >0) or (a < 0 and b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] < 0 ). That is easy of course, but how do I know what b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] is?

In the example I made, how do I relate the variavle x, with that fact (x-1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] < 0, or (x-1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0?

I don't understand your problem. Do you mean that you can't prove that b>0 if [itex]b^{-1}>0[/itex]??

micromass said:
I don't understand your problem. Do you mean that you can't prove that b>0 if [itex]b^{-1}>0[/itex]??

No, that is not what I am saying. I clearly understand the ab[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0.

Well, I better just try to explain my self using the example.

So,we have, [itex]\frac{x-1}{x+1}[/itex] > 0 [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] (x-1)(x+1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0. So [(x-1) > 0 [itex]\vee[/itex] (x+1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0 ] [itex]\wedge[/itex] [(x-1) < 0 [itex]\vee[/itex] (x+1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] < 0 ]. Right?

My question is what good is it to know that for example (x+1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0 ?

How do I relate this with x < something or x > something?

If I was trying to solve this without this without all the ( proof. based on properties), I would just say that if [itex]\frac{x-1}{x+1}[/itex] > 0, then ( x-1) > 0 and ( x+1) > 0( or the other way around).

Is my doubt clear now?

regards,

cteixeira

c.teixeira said:
No, that is not what I am saying. I clearly understand the ab[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0.

Regarding my last post.

Actually I think that is it! How can I prove that b > 0 given b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0 ?

If b<0, then from [itex]b^{-1}>0[/itex] would follow [itex]bb^{-1}<0[/itex] or 1<0. This is a contradiction. So b>0 (since b=0 is clearly not allowed).

micromass said:
If b<0, then from [itex]b^{-1}>0[/itex] would follow [itex]bb^{-1}<0[/itex] or 1<0. This is a contradiction. So b>0 (since b=0 is clearly not allowed).

That was exactly my doubt! Thanks, my question is answered!

So, b and b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] have always to have the same sign (given any b), right?

Regards,

c.teixeira said:
So, b and b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] have always to have the same sign (given any b), right?

Right!

1. What is the difference between a statement and a proof?

A statement is a sentence or phrase that makes a claim or assertion about something. A proof is a logical argument or series of steps that demonstrate the truth or validity of a statement. In other words, a statement is the claim and a proof is the evidence that supports it.

2. How is calculus used to prove statements?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used to prove statements by providing a framework for analyzing and understanding the behavior of mathematical functions and their derivatives. Calculus allows us to use techniques such as differentiation and integration to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts that can be proven using mathematical principles.

3. What are the basic properties of numbers?

The basic properties of numbers refer to the fundamental rules that govern how numbers behave and interact with each other. These properties include the commutative property (the order of numbers in an operation does not matter), the associative property (the grouping of numbers in an operation does not matter), the distributive property (allows us to expand expressions containing parentheses), and the identity property (the sum of any number and 0 is that number).

4. How are proofs used to demonstrate the validity of mathematical statements?

Proofs are used to demonstrate the validity of mathematical statements by providing a logical, step-by-step argument that shows the truth of the statement. This involves starting with a set of known or previously proven statements (known as axioms) and using logical reasoning to reach a conclusion. If the conclusion is consistent with the original statement, then the proof is considered valid.

5. How can I improve my ability to prove mathematical statements?

Improving your ability to prove mathematical statements takes practice and patience. Start by familiarizing yourself with the basic properties of numbers and learning how to apply them in different situations. Practice breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and use logic and reasoning to build a proof. Additionally, seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to help strengthen your skills.