Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove of Statement, Calculus, Basic Properties of numbers

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1
    hi there!

If ab > 0, then (a > 0 and b > 0) or (a < 0 and b < 0). This statment I can prove, just with the basic properties of numbers!

Then, 1[itex]/[/itex]b is defined as b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] right?

So, how does one prove that if [itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex] > 0, then (a > 0 and b > 0) or (a < 0 and b < 0)?

Can you give me the complete proog of that? Thanks!

For example, how does one prove that if [itex]\frac{x+1}{x-1}[/itex] > 0, then

x > 1 or x < -1?

Regards,

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So [itex]\frac{a}{b}>0[/itex] implies that [itex]ab^{-1}>0[/itex]. Now apply the property you could prove.

4. Jul 6, 2012 #3
    So (a > 0 and b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] >0) or (a < 0 and b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] < 0 ). That is easy of course, but how do I know what b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] is?

In the example I made, how do I relate the variavle x, with that fact (x-1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] < 0, or (x-1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0?

5. Jul 6, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't understand your problem. Do you mean that you can't prove that b>0 if [itex]b^{-1}>0[/itex]??

6. Jul 6, 2012 #5
    No, that is not what I am saying. I clearly understand the ab[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0.

Well, I better just try to explain my self using the example.

So,we have, [itex]\frac{x-1}{x+1}[/itex] > 0 [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] (x-1)(x+1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0. So [(x-1) > 0 [itex]\vee[/itex] (x+1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0 ] [itex]\wedge[/itex] [(x-1) < 0 [itex]\vee[/itex] (x+1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] < 0 ]. Right?

My question is what good is it to know that for example (x+1)[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0 ?

How do I relate this with x < something or x > something?

If I was trying to solve this without this without all the ( proof. based on properties), I would just say that if [itex]\frac{x-1}{x+1}[/itex] > 0, then ( x-1) > 0 and ( x+1) > 0( or the other way around).

Is my doubt clear now?

regards,

cteixeira

7. Jul 6, 2012 #6
    Regarding my last post.

Actually I think that is it! How can I prove that b > 0 given b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] > 0 ?

8. Jul 7, 2012 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If b<0, then from [itex]b^{-1}>0[/itex] would follow [itex]bb^{-1}<0[/itex] or 1<0. This is a contradiction. So b>0 (since b=0 is clearly not allowed).

9. Jul 7, 2012 #8
    That was exactly my doubt! Thanks, my question is answered!

So, b and b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] have always to have the same sign (given any b), right?

Regards,

10. Jul 7, 2012 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Right!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook