Prove: similar matrices have the same characteristic polynomial

In summary, it is proven that similar matrices have the same characteristic polynomial. This is shown by the fact that similar matrices have the same determinant, and this can be derived using the formula det(AB) = det(A)det(B). However, the effect on the characteristic polynomial when changing the diagonal entries is not clear.
ak416
Prove: Similar matrices have the same characteristic polynomial.

By characteristic polynomial of A i mean det(A-tI) where t is a scalar.
A is similar to B if A = Q^-1 B Q for some invertible matrix Q. (i.e. B is the matrix representation of the same linear transformation as A but under a different basis.)

I do know that similar matrices have the same determinant. This can be easily proved using det(AB) = det(A)det(B). But when you change the diagonal entries of the determinant I am not sure how it will be affected...

Physics news on Phys.org
You've just said you know the answer. (A and B similar implies they have the same char poly, which is what you were asked to prove.)

det(AB)= det(A)det(B) so [itex]det(Q^{-1}(1-\lambda P Q}=det(Q^{-1})det(1- \lambda P) det(Q)[/itex].

thanks i got it now (after a few manipulations of my own).

1. What are similar matrices?

Similar matrices are matrices that have the same size and shape, and can be transformed into each other through a change of basis. In other words, they represent the same linear transformation but with respect to different bases.

2. What is a characteristic polynomial?

The characteristic polynomial of a square matrix is a polynomial function that is derived from the matrix itself. It is used to find the eigenvalues of the matrix, which are important in determining its properties and behavior.

3. How do you prove that similar matrices have the same characteristic polynomial?

To prove that similar matrices have the same characteristic polynomial, you need to show that the eigenvalues of both matrices are the same. This can be done by showing that the characteristic polynomial of one matrix can be factored into the characteristic polynomial of the other matrix multiplied by a constant.

4. Can matrices with different entries be similar?

Yes, matrices with different entries can still be similar as long as they have the same size and shape. The entries of the matrices do not affect their similarity, only their structure and transformation.

5. Why is it important to know if two matrices are similar?

Knowing if two matrices are similar is important because it allows us to understand and analyze their properties and behavior. Similar matrices represent the same linear transformation, so by studying one matrix, we can also understand the other. Additionally, similarity is a useful concept in solving systems of equations and finding solutions to certain problems.