Prove sum identities: r</=>1, θ, e^iθ

In summary, the identities \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} r^n \cos(n\theta) = \frac{1-r\cos(\theta)}{1-2r\cos(\theta)+r^2} and \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} r^n \sin(n\theta) = \frac{r\sin(\theta)}{1-2r\cos(\theta)+r^2} can be proven by using the rule for an infinite geometric series with r<1. However, if r=1, the series will only be conditionally convergent and the identities cannot be proven.
DieCommie

Homework Statement

Prove the following identities:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} r^n \cos(n\theta) = \frac{1-r\cos(\theta)}{1-2r\cos(\theta)+r^2} [/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} r^n \sin(n\theta) = \frac{r\sin(\theta)}{1-2r\cos(\theta)+r^2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\cos(n\theta) = \frac{1}{2}(e^(in\theta)+e^(-in\theta))[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get it to this point...

[tex] \frac{1}{2}( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(re^(i\theta))^n+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(re^-(i\theta))^n[/tex]

But I don't know what to do next! r could be less than or greater than one. I need to do the general case where r could be either...

Also, I am not sure that the 'relevent equation' is really relevent

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated, Thx!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are now looking at a pair of geometric series. The next step should be easy. I wouldn't worry about the case r>1. In general it should diverge except for special angles.

Wouldn't you just use the following rule for an infinite geometric series:

[tex]\sum\limits_{k = 1}^\infty {ar^{k} = \frac{a}{{1 - r}}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Yes, but only if R<1. The problem conspicuously leaves out that stipulation, which is where my confusion set it.

I went ahead and solved it assuming R<1 and ignoring the other case... I hope that's good enough for some credit.

Did you take [tex]r=re^{i\theta}[/tex] and [tex]a=1[/tex]? Now you've gotten me wanting to solve this problem, lol...

I took [tex] re^{i\theta} = r(cos\theta + isin\theta) [/tex] and a=1. I have it completed assuming r<1. We will look at later.

If r=1 then the series is going to be, at best, only conditionally convergent (r>1, not even that except for some silly special cases like theta=pi). I would really only worry about r inside of the radius of convergence of the series. You can't 'prove the identities' if the sum of the series doesn't exist.

Last edited:

What are "Prove sum identities"?

Prove sum identities are mathematical equations or formulas that involve the sum of two or more terms. These identities can be proven using different techniques, such as algebraic manipulation or trigonometric identities.

What is the significance of r1 in these identities?

The value of r in these identities represents the magnitude or distance from the origin in a polar coordinate system. The condition r1 indicates that the terms involved are part of a unit circle, which has a radius of 1 unit.

What does θ represent in these identities?

θ is the angle in radians, measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis, in a polar coordinate system. It is an essential component in proving sum identities as it helps to determine the values of the terms involved.

How is e^iθ related to these identities?

e^iθ, also known as Euler's formula, is a mathematical expression that relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions. It is commonly used in proving sum identities involving trigonometric functions.

What techniques can be used to prove these sum identities?

There are various techniques that can be used to prove sum identities, such as algebraic manipulation, trigonometric identities, properties of logarithms, and the use of complex numbers. The choice of technique depends on the specific identity being proven.