1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove sum identities

1. May 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove the following identities:
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} r^n \cos(n\theta) = \frac{1-r\cos(\theta)}{1-2r\cos(\theta)+r^2} [/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} r^n \sin(n\theta) = \frac{r\sin(\theta)}{1-2r\cos(\theta)+r^2} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\cos(n\theta) = \frac{1}{2}(e^(in\theta)+e^(-in\theta))[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get it to this point...

[tex] \frac{1}{2}( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(re^(i\theta))^n+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(re^-(i\theta))^n[/tex]

But I dont know what to do next! r could be less than or greater than one. I need to do the general case where r could be either....

Also, Im not sure that the 'relevent equation' is really relevent

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated, Thx!

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are now looking at a pair of geometric series. The next step should be easy. I wouldn't worry about the case r>1. In general it should diverge except for special angles.

4. May 3, 2007 #3
    Wouldn't you just use the following rule for an infinite geometric series:

[tex]\sum\limits_{k = 1}^\infty {ar^{k} = \frac{a}{{1 - r}}}[/tex]

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  5. May 3, 2007 #4
    Yes, but only if R<1. The problem conspicuously leaves out that stipulation, which is where my confusion set it.

I went ahead and solved it assuming R<1 and ignoring the other case.... I hope thats good enough for some credit.

6. May 3, 2007 #5
    Did you take [tex]r=re^{i\theta}[/tex] and [tex]a=1[/tex]? Now you've gotten me wanting to solve this problem, lol...

7. May 3, 2007 #6
    I took [tex] re^{i\theta} = r(cos\theta + isin\theta) [/tex] and a=1. I have it completed assuming r<1. We will look at later.

8. May 4, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If r=1 then the series is going to be, at best, only conditionally convergent (r>1, not even that except for some silly special cases like theta=pi). I would really only worry about r inside of the radius of convergence of the series. You can't 'prove the identities' if the sum of the series doesn't exist.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?