Is sup AC equal to supA supC if A and C are bounded subsets of R?

• Thread starter kingwinner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac
In summary: C is an upper bound for AC. Then, we can say that if a_n*c_n lies in the interval [(sup(A)-1/n)*(sup(C)-1/n),sup(A)*sup(C)] then ac... ac lies in the interval [sup(A)-1/n,sup(A)].
kingwinner

Homework Statement

If A and C are subsets of R, let AC={ac: a E A, c E C}. If A and C are bounded, prove that sup AC = supA supC.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I acutally think it's not always true, for example when A and C each consists of only negative numbers.
If A consists of only negative numbers and C consists of only positive numbers, will it be true then?
In general, when will sup AC = supA supC be true? And how can we "prove" the claim in this case?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please help...I still can't figure out how to prove...

Well, you seem to have doubts about its truth in all cases. So have you looked for counterexamples? Have you tried looking at any of the things you asked about? What did you find out?

I have no idea what I had in mind before. When A and C each consists of only negative numbers. Then sup AC >=0, supA<=0 supC<=0, so it's not contradicatory.

So I guess the claim is ok as it stands, and it's always true.
But now how to prove it? (yes, I know the definitions, but I have no idea how to prove)

Until you actually try some specific examples with various choices for A and C (even simple examples like intervals), positive, negative, or both, you aren't going to have a "feel" for why it is true or whether there are cases where it isn't true. Get your hands dirty with some numbers.

As the problem is stated, it doesn't make any sense. For example let [itex]A = \{-5, 0, 1\}[/itex] and [itex]C = \{-6, 0 , 2\}[/itex]. Clearly [itex]\sup\{AC\} = 30[/itex] but [itex]\sup\{A\}\sup\{C\} = 2[/itex].

Edit: Sorry for jumping in LCKurtz, I didn't see your posts.

jgens said:
As the problem is stated, it doesn't make any sense. For example let [itex]A = \{-5, 0, 1\}[/itex] and [itex]C = \{-6, 0 , 2\}[/itex]. Clearly [itex]\sup\{AC\} = 30[/itex] but [itex]\sup\{A\}\sup\{C\} = 2[/itex].

Edit: Sorry for jumping in LCKurtz, I didn't see your posts.
Then what should be the correct statement of the problem?
I tried positive numbers, and the claim seems to be true. But how can we prove it (in the case when A and C consist of only positive numbers)? This is my main question. I want to see how to prove statements like this.

Thank you!

If everything is positive, you seem to be asking how to prove ac<=(sup A)(sup C) given that a<=(sup A) and c<=(sup C). That's the same thing as asking how to prove ac<=bd, given that a<=b and c<=d. Is that really what you are asking? Then use that multiplication by a positive number preserves order. I.e. a<=b and c>=0 -> ac<=bc.

Dick, that only proves that [itex]\sup\{A\}\sup\{C\}[/itex] is an upper bound for [itex]AC[/itex]. The OP needs to prove that this is the least upper bound.

jgens said:
Dick, that only proves that [itex]\sup\{A\}\sup\{C\}[/itex] is an upper bound for [itex]AC[/itex]. The OP needs to prove that this is the least upper bound.

Hah. Good point. We both know how to do this, right? Does kingwinner?

kingwinner said:
I tried positive numbers, and the claim seems to be true. But how can we prove it (in the case when A and C consist of only positive numbers)? This is my main question. I want to see how to prove statements like this.

Yes, the claim is true if the sets consist of strictly positive elements. To prove something like this I would show that [itex]\sup\{A\}\sup\{C\}[/itex] is an upper bound for [itex]AC[/itex]. Then, I might say let [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex] be some real number such that [itex]\sup\{A\} - \varepsilon > 0[/itex] and [itex]\sup\{C\} - \varepsilon > 0[/itex]. Clearly we can always find [itex]a \in A[/itex] and [itex]c \in C[/itex] such that [itex](\sup\{A\} - \varepsilon/n)(\sup\{C\} - \varepsilon/n) <[/itex][itex]ac \leq \sup\{AC\} \leq \sup\{A\}\sup\{C\}[/itex]. Using this inequality and choosing large enough [itex]n[/itex], it's possible to show that [itex]\sup\{A\}\sup\{C\} = \sup\{AC\}[/itex]. There's probably a simpler way to do it but this is just what I can think of off the top of my head.

I think you've got the right idea in your head. Pick a_n in A that lies in the interval [sup(A)-1/n,sup(A)]. Ditto for c_n. Now a_n*c_n must lie in the interval [(sup(A)-1/n)*(sup(C)-1/n),sup(A)*sup(C)]. Let n approach infinity.

Ah! That's so much simpler and cleaner!

jgens said:
Ah! That's so much simpler and cleaner!

Yeah, but I thought I was responding to a post by kingwinner. Didn't check the byline.

Dick said:
I think you've got the right idea in your head. Pick a_n in A that lies in the interval [sup(A)-1/n,sup(A)]. Ditto for c_n. Now a_n*c_n must lie in the interval [(sup(A)-1/n)*(sup(C)-1/n),sup(A)*sup(C)]. Let n approach infinity.
"a_n*c_n must lie in the interval [(sup(A)-1/n)*(sup(C)-1/n),sup(A)*sup(C)]" <----why? What if (sup(A)-1/n) is negative?

And I'm sorry, but I don't understand the proof. I don't get the general idea of the proof. Maybe someone can explain a little more?

So FIRST we must prove that supA supC is an upper bound for AC. THEN, we begin picking sequences?? Why does this prove that sup AC = supA supC ??

thanks.

What is the meaning of "sup" in the equation "sup AC = supA supC"?

"sup" stands for "supremum", which is the least upper bound of a set. In this equation, "sup AC" refers to the supremum of the set formed by the Cartesian product of sets A and C, while "supA supC" refers to the product of the supremums of sets A and C individually.

What does it mean for "sup AC" to equal "supA supC"?

When "sup AC" is equal to "supA supC", it means that the supremum of the Cartesian product of sets A and C is equal to the product of the supremums of each individual set. In other words, the upper bound of the combined set is equal to the product of the upper bounds of each set.

What is the significance of "Prove sup AC = supA supC" in the field of science?

This equation is significant in the field of science, particularly in mathematics and physics, because it is used to understand and analyze the relationship between two sets. It can also be used to prove certain theories and hypotheses.

How can one prove that "sup AC = supA supC" is true?

To prove this equation, one must use mathematical proof techniques such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, or proof by induction. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical operations to show that both sides of the equation are equal.

What are some real-life applications of "sup AC = supA supC"?

This equation has various real-life applications, such as in optimization problems, economics, and statistics. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum profit for a company with two different products, or to find the maximum value of a function given certain constraints.