Prove that 111x^111+11x^11+x+1 has only one real root

• Thread starter AdrianZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary: That means the function is always positive and has no real roots.In summary, to prove that the function 12321x^110+12321x^10+1 has exactly one real root, we can use the intermediate value theorem and Rolle's theorem. By checking the derivative, we can show that the function is always positive and therefore has no real roots. This contradicts the assumption that the function has more than one real root, proving that it has exactly one real root.
AdrianZ

Homework Statement

Prove that the function 111x^111+11x^11+x+1 has exactly one real root.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know how to prove this. f is continuous because It's a polynomial. f(-1) equals -111-11-1+1 = -122 < 0 and f(0) equals 1. therefore, It satisfies all conditions of the intermediate value theorem and the theorem tells us that there must be a zero of f between -1 and 0. Now we can use Rolle's theorem to rule out any other possible real roots of the function. but the problem is the derivative of the function leads to an equation which can't be solved without a computer. so I can't show that the assumption that f has other real roots leads to a contradiction using Rolle's theorem. What can I do now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AdrianZ! :smile:

There is no need to calculate the possible roots, you just need to check that there is no root.

As derivative, you've probably found

[tex]12321x^{110}+121x^{10}+1[/tex]

It suffices to show that there is no positive root (if there is a positive root a, then -a will be a negative root). Now, can you show that the derivative is always >0 for all positive numbers?

How do you say that if a is a positive root then -a will be a negative root? the function is not even. I didn't understand that part.
well, I think I can show that this equation is always positive. what a stupid I am. for any real x: x^10 >= 0. if I multiply it by 121 I'll get 121x^10>=0 Now if I add 1 to both sides I'll get 121x^10+1>=1.
I can do the same for x^110.for any real x: x^110>=0. by summing the two equations I'll get f'(x) >= 1. which proves that It can't have a real root. so, the contradiction!

Thank you micromass xP You are always helpful xP

AdrianZ said:
How do you say that if a is a positive root then -a will be a negative root? the function is not even. I didn't understand that part.

Well, it seems you figured it out without using evenness. But the function is even:

[tex]12321(-x)^{110}+121(-x)^{10}+1=12321x^{110}+121x^{10}+1[/tex]

well, I think I can show that this equation is always positive. what a stupid I am. for any real x: x^10 >= 0. if I multiply it by 121 I'll get 121x^10>=0 Now if I add 1 to both sides I'll get 121x^10+1>=1.
I can do the same for x^110.for any real x: x^110>=0. by summing the two equations I'll get f'(x) >= 1. which proves that It can't have a real root. so, the contradiction!

That's good! :smile:

micromass said:
Well, it seems you figured it out without using evenness. But the function is even:

[tex]12321(-x)^{110}+121(-x)^{10}+1=12321x^{110}+121x^{10}+1[/tex]
That's good! :smile:

Oh! Again what a stupid I am. Of course the function is even lol Thanks. I need to rest for some hours. my brain is off.
Btw, How could you prove that the function has no real roots using evenness? You wanted to use reductio ad absurdum?

AdrianZ said:
Oh! Again what a stupid I am. Of course the function is even lol Thanks. I need to rest for some hours. my brain is off.
Btw, How could you prove that the function has no real roots using evenness? You wanted to use reductio ad absurdum?

Think about it. I'll give you the idea in a nutshell:

Every x is raised to an even power in 12321x110 + 1232x10 + 1. No matter what value you plug into x, you get a positive value for x110 and x10. The smallest value you could get then is plugging in 0 for x, so you'll get 0 + 0 + 1 = 1.

Related to Prove that 111x^111+11x^11+x+1 has only one real root

1. What is the equation being studied?

The equation being studied is 111x^111+11x^11+x+1.

2. What does it mean for a polynomial to have only one real root?

A polynomial has only one real root when there is only one value of x that makes the polynomial equal to zero. This means that the polynomial does not intersect with the x-axis at any other point.

3. How can it be proved that the given equation has only one real root?

This can be proved using the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that a polynomial of degree n has exactly n complex roots. Since the given polynomial has a degree of 111, it can have at most 111 complex roots. However, since it has 111x^111 as its highest degree term, it must have exactly one real root.

4. Is there a specific method for proving that a polynomial has only one real root?

Yes, there are various methods that can be used to prove that a polynomial has only one real root. Some common methods include using the Intermediate Value Theorem, Descartes' Rule of Signs, and the Rational Root Theorem.

5. Can the given equation have any complex roots?

Yes, the given equation can have complex roots, but it can have at most 111 complex roots. This is because of the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that a polynomial of degree n has exactly n complex roots.