Prove that a function is not of bounded variation

In summary: Thanks for clarifying.No need for apologies. I didn't mean 'prove it that way'. I just meant it to show how you can have an infinite number of jumps and still have bounded variation. Thanks for clarifying.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Prove or disprove that the function ##f(x)= x^2sin^2(\dfrac{\pi}{x})## if ##0<x\leq 1## and ##f(x)=0## if ##x=0## is of bounded variation. The attempt at a solution.

I've seen the graph of this function on wolfram and for me it's clearly not of bounded variation since it has too many jumps (when ##x## approaches ##0##, ##f(x)## changes its value "too quickly"). The problem is I don't know how to prove it formally.

I've tried to prove it by contradiction: Suppose ##f(x)## is of bounded variation, then there exists ##M>0 : \sum_{k=1}^n|Δf_k|\leq M## for every partition ##π=\{x_0,...,x_n\}## of ##[0,1]##.

Which is the proper partition ##π=\{x_0,...,x_n\}## of the interval ##[0,1]## such that ##\sum_{k=1}^n|Δf_k|> M##? I need help to find the appropiate partition that would lead me to a contradiction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Prove or disprove that the function ##f(x)= x^2sin^2(\dfrac{\pi}{x})## if ##0<x\leq 1## and ##f(x)=0## if ##x=0## is of bounded variation.

The attempt at a solution.

I've seen the graph of this function on wolfram and for me it's clearly not of bounded variation since it has too many jumps (when ##x## approaches ##0##, ##f(x)## changes its value "too quickly"). The problem is I don't know how to prove it formally.

I've tried to prove it by contradiction: Suppose ##f(x)## is of bounded variation, then there exists ##M>0 : \sum_{k=1}^n|Δf_k|\leq M## for every partition ##π=\{x_0,...,x_n\}## of ##[0,1]##.

Which is the proper partition ##π=\{x_0,...,x_n\}## of the interval ##[0,1]## such that ##\sum_{k=1}^n|Δf_k|> M##? I need help to find the appropiate partition that would lead me to a contradiction.

I wouldn't be so confident that just because there are 'too many jumps' that the function isn't of bounded variation. Try estimating the position and size of all of the maxima and from that estimate the total variation.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
I wouldn't be so confident that just because there are 'too many jumps' that the function isn't of bounded variation. Try estimating the position and size of all of the maxima and from that estimate the total variation.

I've seen that ##f'(x)## is bounded, and this is sufficient for the function ##f## to be of bounded variation. Is this correct?

mahler1 said:
I've seen that ##f'(x)## is bounded, and this is sufficient for the function ##f## to be of bounded variation. Is this correct?

Yes. If you'd followed my suggestion you would have seen that the total variation is approximately 2(2/3)^2+2(2/5)^2+2(2/7)^2+... which is a convergent series. So even though there are an infinite number of bumps, they still sum to a finite number. That's maybe hard to turn into a rigorous proof because the those maxes are only approximate. But they are a very good approximation. So, yes, the easiest way to prove it is to note f'(x) exists and it's bounded.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Yes. If you'd followed my suggestion you would have seen that the total variation is approximately 2(2/3)^2+2(2/5)^2+2(2/7)^2+... which is a convergent series. So even though there are an infinite number of bumps, they still sum to a finite number. That's maybe hard to turn into a rigorous proof because the those maxes are only approximate. But they are a very good approximation. So, yes, the easiest way to prove it is to note f'(x) exists and it's bounded.

Yes, sorry for not following your suggestion but I found it easier to prove that the derivative is bounded. Thanks!

mahler1 said:
Yes, sorry for not following your suggestion but I found it easier to prove that the derivative is bounded. Thanks!

No need for apologies. I didn't mean 'prove it that way'. I just meant it to show how you can have an infinite number of jumps and still have bounded variation.

1. What is bounded variation?

Bounded variation is a measure of how much a function varies or changes over a given interval. A function is said to have bounded variation if its total variation over any interval is finite.

2. How do you prove that a function is not of bounded variation?

To prove that a function is not of bounded variation, you can use the definition of bounded variation and show that the total variation of the function over any interval is infinite. This can be done by finding a sequence of points in the interval where the function has large jumps or oscillations.

3. Can a continuous function be not of bounded variation?

Yes, it is possible for a continuous function to not be of bounded variation. This can happen if the function has a large number of oscillations or sharp changes over a given interval.

4. What is the importance of bounded variation in real-world applications?

Bounded variation is important in real-world applications because it helps to measure the smoothness or regularity of a function. It is used in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to model and analyze real-world phenomena.

5. Are there any alternative ways to prove that a function is not of bounded variation?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove that a function is not of bounded variation. One approach is to use Lebesgue's criterion, which states that a function is not of bounded variation if and only if it is not absolutely continuous. Another approach is to use the Riemann-Stieltjes integral and show that the function does not satisfy the necessary conditions for bounded variation.