Prove that Col(A) is a proper subset of Nul(A)

  • Thread starter Thread starter junsugal
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
junsugal
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that if A is a nxn matrix such that A^2=0, then Col(A) is a proper subset of Nul(A)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



None, i have no idea how to start.
Please guide me or explain what does the question means and how to approach.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi junsugal! :smile:

(do you mean Ker(A)? it's spelled "kernel", not "colonel" … a kernel is the soft part inside the shell of a nut! :biggrin:)

it means you have to prove that there exists an x such that x is in Nul(A) but not Col(A)

(i think the question should have stipulated that A is non-zero)
 
tiny-tim said:
hi junsugal! :smile:

(do you mean Ker(A)? it's spelled "kernel", not "colonel" … a kernel is the soft part inside the shell of a nut! :biggrin:)

it means you have to prove that there exists an x such that x is in Nul(A) but not Col(A)

(i think the question should have stipulated that A is non-zero)


Hi :)

It is Col(A).
I thought it means that Nul(A) is a subspace of Col(A)?
well, I'm still confused though.
I tried to solve this problem asuming that A is zero matrix.
Because I couldn't think of any nxn matrix that will get zero after multiply by itself.
 
junsugal said:
I thought it means that Nul(A) is a subspace of Col(A)?

no …
junsugal said:
… Col(A) is a proper subset of Nul(A)

… means that Col is a subset of Nul, but is less than Nul
I tried to solve this problem asuming that A is zero matrix.

no!

A must be non-zero