1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that, if f(x) is differentiable at x =c , then f(x) is continous at x=c

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From the definition of the derivative, prove that, if f(x) is differentiable at x=c, then f(x) is continuous at x=c.

2. Relevant equations

f'(c) = lim [f(x)-f(c)]/(x-c) This is the definition for a function to be differentiable at
    x->c x=c.

3. The attempt at a solution

we are required to prove that
    lim f(x) = f(c) (this is what it means for the function to be continuous
    x->c

lim f(x) - f(c) = 0
    x->c

This looks alot like the numerator for the definition of differentiable at x=c.

From here, i'm lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    Use the definition of limit to make an inequality (< ε for some ε > 0) to get yourself started and simplify. From there it is useful to change your x's into x[itex]_{n}[/itex]'s

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    so right now i`m at the following:

0 < |x-c| < δ --> |f(x)-f(c)| <ε

But this thing has no numbers. I'm not used to it. I can perform the "reverse" triangle inequality on |x-c| but i'm still stuck. Could you give me 1 or 2 more step hint?

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you could show this was true, you'd be done. This statement says the limit of f(x) as x approaches c is f(c).
    You know the function is differentiable at x=c. That means, as you said earlier, that the limit
    [tex]\lim_{x \to c} \frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}[/tex]exists. In terms of δ and ε, that means: given ε>0, there exists δ>0 such that |x-c| < δ implies
    [tex]\left|\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}-f'(c)\right| < \varepsilon[/tex]where f'(c) denotes the value of the limit. You need to somehow go from this statement to the statement: given ε'>0, there exists δ'>0 such that |x-c|<δ' implies |f(x)-f(c)|<ε'.

6. Dec 6, 2011 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I wanted to add, it's probably not necessary to use the δ-ε definition of the limit for the proof. Just use the various properties of limits that you know.

7. Dec 6, 2011 #6
    Thank you. I'll try it now.

8. Dec 6, 2011 #7
    That'd probably be more likely on the exam. I don't think i'm expected to prove this with epsilon deltas anyway but even then, i'm sorta lost. I was hoping i didn't have to prove this with epsilon deltas as well. If we go back to where i'm at with the original post, what would be the next step in proving this with the limit laws?

9. Dec 6, 2011 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In your first post, you noted that you want to show that
    [tex]\lim_{x \to c} f(x)-f(c) = 0.[/tex]You also noted it looked like the numerator in the definition of the derivative. So what if you looked at something like
    [tex]\lim_{x \to c} \left[\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}\cdot(x-c)\right]?[/tex]

10. Dec 6, 2011 #9
    but here's where i got confused.

if you did that, it's f'(c) = lim [f(x)-f(c)]
    x->c

It still doesn't equal zero though.

11. Dec 6, 2011 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

How did you get f'(c) = lim [f(x)-f(c)]?

12. Dec 6, 2011 #11
    oh wait nvm. Sorry but i meamnt to say that.

lim f(x)-f(c)=0. We need that but do we know that f'(c) = 0?
    x->c

13. Dec 6, 2011 #12
    You're trying to prove that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x)-f(c) = 0[/itex], not that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow c} \frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c} = 0[/itex]. So you don't need to know that f'(c) is 0, you only have to know that it exists

14. Dec 6, 2011 #13
    oh wait nvm. Sorry but i meamnt to say that

We need that:

lim f(x)-f(c)=0.
    x->c
    However we have:

lim f(x)-f(c). It doesn't equal zero.
    x->c

I'm just confused.

15. Dec 6, 2011 #14
    Oh ok. So then the proof is basically done then right?

16. Dec 6, 2011 #15

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Depends. What did you say?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook