1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that it is irrational?

1. Jun 15, 2009 #1
    Well, there is a problem, i have solved/proved it, but i am not sure whether it is correct.
    THe problem is this:

Using unique factorization into primes prove that there are no integers a and b such that [tex]a^2=30b^2[/tex], and thus show that [tex]sqrt{30}[/tex] is irrational.

Proof:using unique factorization of any integer greater than 1 or less than -1, we can factor any such integer into the product of powers of distinct primes, or simply into a product of primes.

[tex]a^2=30b^2=>b^2|a^2=>b|a=>\exists k,a=kb[/tex]

Let:

[tex]a=p_1p_2...p_r; b=q_1q_2...q_s[/tex]

[tex]a^2=30b^2=>30=\left(\frac{b}{a}\right)^2=k^2=>\sqrt{30}=k[/tex]

Now from the unique factorization theorem again:[tex]\sqrt{30}=k=d_1d_2...d_n=>30=d_1^2d_2^2...d_n^2[/tex]

=>

[tex]2*3*5=d_1^2d_2^2...d_n^2=>2|d_1^2d_2^2...d_n^2=>2|d_i^2=>2=d_i[/tex]

but this would contradict the unique factorization theorem, and thus this contradiction shows that such a, and b do not exist.

Is this about correct, or there is another way around it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2009 #2
    i don't know what's wrong with latex?

4. Jun 15, 2009 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Recall how do you prove sqrt(2) is irrational: a^2=2b^2 (where gcd(a,b)=1) now 2 divides a^2 and thus 2 divides a and thus 4 divides a^2, so a=2k, 4k^2=2b^2 => b^2=2k^2 so also 2 divides b^2 and thus divides b, which means that gcd(a,b)>1 which is a contradiction, the same method is used here as well.

5. Jun 15, 2009 #4
    Actually you can use the unique factorization thus:

[tex]
    a^2=30b^2
    [/tex]

There are an even number of 2's on the left, but an odd number on the right. Contradiction.

6. Jun 15, 2009 #5
    well, yah i thought about this one, but since they asked to use the unique factorization of a number into primes, that part through me off, and i didn't know whether the same method is applied here.

7. Jun 15, 2009 #6
    Which method? Why can't you use that one-line proof?

8. Jun 15, 2009 #7
    THis is pretty much what my proof eventually shows, that we will have more 2's in one side than on the other.

9. Jun 15, 2009 #8
    Here i was referring to mathematical physicists's post. I know how to show that a nr is irrational using that methodology.

10. Jun 15, 2009 #9
    Yes but you can say this immediately. There's a lot of unnecessary stuff in your proof.

11. Jun 15, 2009 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just look at the prime factors on both sides... done.

12. Jun 16, 2009 #11
    yeah i got it! thnx for the input!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook