Prove that the group of all isometries is abelian

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Group
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Jamin2112
Messages
973
Reaction score
12

Homework Statement



The only thing I need to do now is show that isometric functions commute. I've shown the 3 properties that prove the the set G of isometric functions is a group.

Homework Equations



If f:Z-->Z is bijective and preserves distances, then f is isometric.

The Attempt at a Solution



f, g in G and n in Z

--------> |f(n) - g(n)| = |f(f(n)) - g(f(n))| = |g(f(n) - g(g(n))|
--------> ?
--------> |f(g(n) - g(f(n))| = 0
--------> f(g(n)) = g(f(n)). QED.

Can you give me an oh-so-subtle hint? I just started class this week, so I'm not yet in my proper mindset.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, guys! Apparently I read the question wrong. The question was "Is the group [Gamma] of all isometries abelian?" It isn't abelian and the proof is quite easy.