Prove that the limit of 1/x as x goes to 0 doesn't exist.

• Thread starter KiwiKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: To say a limit equals L means: for each epsilon greater than zero there exists a delta greater than zero...To say a limit does not exist means: for some epsilon greater than zero there is no delta greater than zero...
KiwiKid

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{x}[/itex] does not exist using the precise definitions of a limit.

Homework Equations

Precise laws for infinite limits:
[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x) = \infty[/itex] means that for every positive number M there is a positive number [itex]\delta[/itex] such that if [itex]0 < |x-a| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]f(x)>M[/itex]
and
[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x) = - \infty[/itex] means that for every negative number N there is a positive number [itex]\delta[/itex] such that if [itex]0 < |x-a| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]f(x) < N[/itex]

There's also the precise laws for LHS- and RHS-limits:
[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a^-} f(x) = L[/itex] if for every number [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there is a number [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that if [itex]a - \delta < x < a[/itex] then [itex]|f(x) - L| < \epsilon[/itex]
and
[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a^+} f(x) = L[/itex] if for every number [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there is a number [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that if [itex]a < x < a + \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x) - L| < \epsilon[/itex]

And, of course:
If [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a^-} f(x) = L[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a^+} f(x) = L[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x) = L[/itex]. Otherwise, it is undefined.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I think I've successfully proved it, but I'm not completely sure. My idea was to use the RHS- and LHS-limits to show that they differed, which would then show that the original limit does not exist. Here's my proof:

Proof of [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0^+} \frac{1}{x} = \infty[/itex]:
We have to define delta such that if [itex]0 < x < \delta[/itex], then [itex]\frac{1}{x} > M[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{x} > M \rightarrow x < \frac{1}{M}[/itex]
Choose [itex]\delta = \frac{1}{M} \rightarrow 0 < x < \delta \rightarrow \frac{1}{x} > M[/itex]
This shows that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{1}{x} = \infty[/itex] per the precise definition of a limit.

Proof of [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0^-} \frac{1}{x} = - \infty[/itex]:
We have to define delta such that if [itex]- \delta < x < 0[/itex], then [itex]\frac{1}{x} < N[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{x} < N \rightarrow x > \frac{1}{N}[/itex]
Choose [itex]\delta = \frac{-1}{N} \rightarrow - \delta < x < 0 \rightarrow \frac{-1}{N} < N[/itex]
This shows that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-} \frac{1}{x} = - \infty[/itex] per the precise definition of a limit.

Conclusion:
[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{1}{x} \neq \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-} \frac{1}{x}[/itex]
Therefore, the original limit does not exist.

...At least, that's the idea. I'm very unfamiliar with proofs, so did I do anything wrong? Would this be considered adequate proof?

EDIT: I just read that what my book calls the 'precise definition of a limit' is more officially known as the epsilon-delta limit definition.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ill give this a go I suppose. First off ill be using this definition since f(x) is tending to infinity, while x is within a reasonable bound coming from the right side.
[itex]\forall[/itex]M>0, [itex]\exists[/itex]δ>0 | a < x < a+δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x)>M

Now let's sub what we know into it :
[itex]\forall[/itex]M>0, [itex]\exists[/itex]δ>0 | 0 < x < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x)>M

Now we work with our f(x)>M portion of the definition, so we have :
f(x) > M
1/x > M
x < 1/M

So now we sub back into our definition what we now know :
[itex]\forall[/itex]M>0, [itex]\exists[/itex]δ=1/M > 0 | 0 < x < 1/M [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x)>M

Now here we see the problem! Observe that we have a problem with the left side of the inequality :

0 < x < 1/M
1/0 > 1/x > M
1/0 > f(x) > M

This is self explanatory ^^^. Clearly f(x) is INCREASING without bound, but we have managed to keep it defined. This shows f(x) -> ∞ as x -> 0 from the right.

You can finish this off by doing the other side using this definition below.
[itex]\forall[/itex]M>0, [itex]\exists[/itex]δ>0 | a-δ < x < a [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x)<M

I'm pretty sure this is how you would do it. Hope this helps!

KiwiKid said:

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{x}[/itex] does not exist using the precise definitions of a limit.

Proof of [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0^+} \frac{1}{x} = \infty[/itex]:
We have to define delta such that if [itex]0 < x < \delta[/itex], then [itex]\frac{1}{x} > M[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{x} > M \rightarrow x < \frac{1}{M}[/itex]
Choose [itex]\delta = \frac{1}{M} \rightarrow 0 < x < \delta \rightarrow \frac{1}{x} > M[/itex]
This shows that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{1}{x} = \infty[/itex] per the precise definition of a limit.

You could make the above argument clearer by stating the quantifiers ('for each", "there exists" ) that apply to your variables. Instead of saying
Say
For each M > 0, we have to show there exists a delta such that if [itex]0 < x < \delta[/itex], then [itex]\frac{1}{x} > M[/itex]
Then say something like "Let M > 0 be given" and proceed to write the rest as if M were a specific number.

Conclusion:
[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{1}{x} \neq \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-} \frac{1}{x}[/itex]
Therefore, the original limit does not exist.

...At least, that's the idea. I'm very unfamiliar with proofs, so did I do anything wrong? Would this be considered adequate proof?

EDIT: I just read that what my book calls the 'precise definition of a limit' is more officially known as the epsilon-delta limit definition.

Yes. As your EDIT suggests, I don't think the problem wants the approach you used. You're the victim of an inconsistency in how we use ordinary English to speak about limits.

We say "The limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 from the right is infinity", but we also say "The limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 from the right does not exist "!. The limits involving infinity are considered as special ways in which a (genuine) limit fails to exist.

Zondrina hasn't written a proof, but Zondrina's post does show how one "works backward" to get the proof. The first problem you have is interpreting in terms of epsilon-delta what it means for a limit not to equal L, where L is a number (and not an infinity).

When you have a definition like "To say S is true means: for each ...there exists", then one can apply the methods of logic to say how to fill-out the definition of "To say S is false means: ...". Some teachers expect students to do this by "common sense" and others may provide instruction.

This problem involves giving a definition for the statement:
It is false that [itex] lim_{x \rightarrow a^+} 1/x = L [/itex]
which amounts to stating the definition of
[itex]lim_{x \rightarrow a^+} 1/x \neq L [/itex].
Perhaps your text explains how this would be written out in terms of epsilons and deltas. Can you do it?

Stephen Tashi said:
Zondrina hasn't written a proof, but Zondrina's post does show how one "works backward" to get the proof. The first problem you have is interpreting in terms of epsilon-delta what it means for a limit not to equal L, where L is a number (and not an infinity).

When you have a definition like "To say S is true means: for each ...there exists", then one can apply the methods of logic to say how to fill-out the definition of "To say S is false means: ...". Some teachers expect students to do this by "common sense" and others may provide instruction.

I don't quite understand how I'm working backwards? Perhaps you could elaborate a bit more?

Usually you manipulate the definition you need according to your values of 'a' and 'L'. Then you massage the expression to find your appropriate value and then prove that the value indeed works?

Zondrina said:
I don't quite understand how I'm working backwards? Perhaps you could elaborate a bit more?

Usually you manipulate the definition you need according to your values of 'a' and 'L'. Then you massage the expression to find your appropriate value and then prove that the value indeed works?
"Usually you manipulate the definition you need according to your values of 'a' and 'L'. Then you massage the expression to find your appropriate value ..."
This is likely what Stephen Tashi means by working backwards​

In the formal proof, you take that value and show that it works.

FAQ: Prove that the limit of 1/x as x goes to 0 doesn't exist.

1. What is a limit in the context of calculus?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input values get closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How is the limit of a function evaluated?

The limit of a function can be evaluated by plugging in values that are increasingly closer to the specific value the function is approaching. If the function approaches a finite value, the limit is said to exist. If the function approaches different values from different directions, the limit does not exist.

3. Why does the limit of 1/x not exist as x approaches 0?

This is because the function 1/x approaches infinity as x approaches 0 from the positive side, but approaches negative infinity as x approaches 0 from the negative side. Since the function approaches different values from different directions, the limit does not exist.

4. Can the limit of 1/x be proven to not exist?

Yes, the limit of 1/x can be proven to not exist by using the formal definition of a limit and showing that the function approaches different values from different directions as x approaches 0.

5. How is the concept of limit important in mathematics and science?

The concept of limit is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to better understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values. It is also crucial in fields such as calculus, physics, and engineering, where it is used to solve problems and make accurate calculations.