1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that you've got a probability density function

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Probability of a car starting up is 0.9
    Probability of a car NOT starting up is 0.1

Cars are tested until 2 functional cars are found.

Find Bernoulli probability function associated and PROVE that it is a pdf (probability density function).

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

To prove that it is a pdf, I think that I need to sum up all of the probabilities associated with the x values and show that it equals 1.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]x=2 to infinity p^2*(1-p)^(x-2) How do I show that this equals 1? Is it even correct?

Keep in mind that the minimum value for the # of cars tested is 2 because we're looking for 2 functional cars, and once we've got 2, we stop the trials.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It isn't a PDF. You are forgetting a combinatorial factor, aren't you? If you get a second success after x trials and quit, there is more than one way that the first success could have happened. Isn't there?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook