Prove the Int<ABC is a convex set.

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the Int<ABC is a convex set, with the given equations and attempt at a solution. The goal is to show that the intersection of two half-planes, H(A,BC) and H(C,AB), is convex. The question also asks for a general proof that the intersection of two convex sets is convex.
LCharette

Homework Statement

Prove the Int<ABC is a convex set.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Int <ABC = H(A,BC) intersect H(C,AB) by the definition of interior.
2. H(A,BC) is convex and H(C,AB) is convex by Half-Plane Axioms

I know I need to show the intersection of the two half planes is convex but I do not know how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you would tell us what "ABC" is! Are "A", "B", "C" points and "ABC" the region bounded by the triangle with those vertices?

Regardless of the notation, once you get to
I know I need to show the intersection of the two half planes is convex but I do not know how to do this.

Prove in general that the intersection of two convex sets is convex

1. What is a convex set?

A convex set is a set in which any line segment connecting two points within the set lies completely within the set itself. In other words, if you were to draw a line between any two points within a convex set, all points along that line would also be within the set.

2. How can you prove that a set is convex?

To prove a set is convex, you must show that for any two points within the set, all points along the line connecting them are also within the set. This can be done by using the definition of a convex set and showing that it holds true for all possible points within the set.

3. What is the significance of proving that a set is convex?

Proving that a set is convex is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to make assumptions and inferences about the properties of the set, and can help in solving optimization and decision-making problems.

4. Can a set be both convex and non-convex?

No, a set cannot be both convex and non-convex. A set is either convex or non-convex based on the definition of a convex set. If a set does not meet the criteria of a convex set, then it is considered non-convex.

5. How is the convexity of a set related to its shape?

The convexity of a set is directly related to its shape. A convex set has a smoother, more curved shape compared to a non-convex set which may have sharp angles or protrusions. The shape of a convex set is also symmetrical, meaning it looks the same from all angles.