Prove the time evolution operator is unitary

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of (5.240b) and the use of the fact that <\psi(t_0)\,|\,\psi(t_0)> is equal to <\psi(t_0)\,|\,U^\dagger(t, t_0)\,U(t, t_0)\,|\,\psi(t_0)> for any \psi(t_0). The steps taken to derive (5.240b) involve multiplying both sides by appropriate matrices.
Happiness
How is (5.240b) derived? I get [itex]{U^{-1}}^\dagger(t, t_0)\,U^{-1}(t, t_0)=I[/itex] instead.

My steps:
[tex]\begin{align}<\psi(t_0)\,|\,\psi(t_0)>&=\,<U(t_0, t)\,\psi(t)\,|\,U(t_0, t)\,\psi(t)>\\
&=\,<U^{-1}(t, t_0)\,\psi(t)\,|\,U^{-1}(t, t_0)\,\psi(t)>\\
&=\,<\psi(t)\,|\,{U^{-1}}^\dagger(t, t_0)\,U^{-1}(t, t_0)\,|\,\psi(t)>\end{align}[/tex]

Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 7.00.38 am.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 7.01.28 am.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 7.01.39 am.png

Also, to get (5.240a), do we use the fact that [itex]<\psi(t_0)\,|\,\psi(t_0)>\,=\,<\psi(t_0)\,|\,U^\dagger(t, t_0)\,U(t, t_0)\,|\,\psi(t_0)>[/itex]is true for any [itex]\psi(t_0)[/itex]?

Likes Clausia
Physics news on Phys.org
Happiness said:
How is (5.240b) derived? I get [itex]{U^{-1}}^\dagger(t, t_0)\,U^{-1}(t, t_0)=I[/itex] instead.
Multiply both sides by appropriate matrices and you should get the result you want.
Also, to get (5.240a), do we use the fact that [itex]<\psi(t_0)\,|\,\psi(t_0)>\,=\,<\psi(t_0)\,|\,U^\dagger(t, t_0)\,U(t, t_0)\,|\,\psi(t_0)>[/itex]is true for any [itex]\psi(t_0)[/itex]?
Right.

Likes Clausia and Happiness

1. What is the time evolution operator?

The time evolution operator is a mathematical representation of how a quantum system changes over time. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the evolution of a system's state over time.

2. Why is it important to prove that the time evolution operator is unitary?

Proving that the time evolution operator is unitary is important because it ensures that the system's evolution is described by a reversible process. This is a fundamental property in quantum mechanics and ensures that the system's information is conserved over time.

3. How is the time evolution operator related to the Schrödinger equation?

The time evolution operator is closely related to the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. The time evolution operator is the mathematical solution to the Schrödinger equation.

4. What does it mean for the time evolution operator to be unitary?

A unitary operator is a type of linear transformation that preserves the length of a vector. In the context of the time evolution operator, this means that the operator preserves the norm of the system's state vector, ensuring that the system's information is not lost or distorted over time.

5. How can one prove that the time evolution operator is unitary?

There are several ways to prove that the time evolution operator is unitary. One approach is to use the properties of unitary operators, such as the preservation of inner products and the self-inverse property. Another approach is to use the Schrödinger equation and its solution to show that the time evolution operator satisfies the conditions of unitarity.