Prove this is divisible by 228 for any n

• Thread starter sunnybrooke
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that the expression 1561^n + 712^n -1225^n - 364^n is divisible by 228 for any natural number n, you can use induction and assume that it is true for some integers k and n. Then, show that it is also true for the next integer value, k+1, by using the given equation. This will prove that the expression is divisible by 228 for all natural numbers.
sunnybrooke

Homework Statement

Prove that the following is divisible by 228 for any n (natural number).

[tex]1561^n + 712^n -1225^n - 364^n [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing you have to prove by induction. When n = 1, the quotient is 3. What do I do afterwards? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
I'm guessing you have to prove by induction. When n = 1, the quotient is 3. What do I do afterwards? Thanks.
You follow the other steps for induction.

In other words, assume that 1561k +712k −1225k −364= 228n for some integers k and n and then show that 1561k+1 +712k+1 −1225k+1 −364 is a multiple of 228.

FAQ: Prove this is divisible by 228 for any n

1. How do you prove that a number is divisible by 228 for any n?

In order to prove that a number is divisible by 228 for any n, you can use the divisibility rule for 228. This rule states that if the sum of the digits of the number is divisible by 228, then the number is also divisible by 228.

2. Can you provide an example of a number that is divisible by 228 for any n?

One example of a number that is divisible by 228 for any n is 228 itself. Since 228 divided by 228 is equal to 1, it is considered divisible by 228.

3. What is the importance of proving a number is divisible by 228 for any n?

Proving that a number is divisible by 228 for any n is important in mathematics because it helps in simplifying calculations and finding factors of larger numbers. It also allows for easier identification of prime numbers and understanding the properties of different numbers.

4. Are there any other methods to prove that a number is divisible by 228 for any n?

Yes, there are other methods to prove that a number is divisible by 228 for any n. Some of these methods include using prime factorization, long division, or modular arithmetic. However, the divisibility rule for 228 is the most efficient and commonly used method.

5. Can a number be divisible by 228 for any n without being divisible by 228?

No, a number cannot be divisible by 228 for any n without being divisible by 228. This is because the divisibility rule for 228 checks for divisibility by 228 specifically, and if the rule does not apply, then the number is not considered divisible by 228.

Back