Proving 1 = -1: Help and Discussion

• Thread starter IsotropicSpinManifol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical concept of square roots and the mistake in assuming that sqrt(-1*-1) equals sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1). The experts clarify that the square root function always returns a positive real value and cannot be split up in such a way. They also mention that complex numbers cannot be ordered and should be defined as pairs of real numbers.
IsotropicSpinManifol
Ok
This is my first post HI everyone!

Whats wrong with this.

1 = sqrt(1) = sqrt (-1*-1) = sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1) = i * i = i^2 = -1

therefore

1 = -1

0= -2,2

0 = Real Number Set

etc

Dammit I am right! And everyone in the history of maths is wrong!

AHHAHAHAA

ahum

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Holy ****! You've gotten us! :rolleyes:

You're mistake is in the second step, you need to consider the full definition, parameter-usage and application of the square root function before splitting it up like that.

Simply put:Sqrt always returns a real positive value.

[tex] \sqrt{ab}=\sqrt{|a|}\sqrt{|b|} [/tex] , [tex]ab\geq0[/tex].

Daniel.

[itex]\sqrt{-1 \cdot -1}\not=\sqrt{-1}\cdot \sqrt{-1}[/itex].

Same thing but a bit more obvious, your step is like saying:

[tex]|1| = |-1|[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]1 = -1[/tex]

What everyone else has said is true. And it is basically due to the fact that the complex numbers cannot be ordered. If we define i by "[tex]i= \sqrt{-1}[/tex] or even i2= -1, we cannot distinguish between "i" and "-i". (Since the complex numbers are not ordered, we can't say "the positive root" and "the negative root".)

More precise is to define the complex numbers as pairs of real numbers (a, b) and define addition by (a,b)+ (c,d)= (a+c, b+d) and multiplication by (a,b)(c,d)= (ac-bd, ad+ bc). (Then a+ bi is just a notation for (a,b).) Using that notation this problem disappears.

(ab)^1/2 = a^1/2*b^1/2 if and only if ATLEAST one of a, b is Non negative. If a and b are both non negative then (ab)^1/2 = - (a)^1/2*(b)1/2 ;) cheers!

1. How is it possible to prove that 1 equals -1?

It is not possible to prove that 1 equals -1, as they are fundamentally different numbers. The equation 1 = -1 is mathematically incorrect and cannot be proven.

2. Can you provide an example or explanation of how 1 equals -1?

No, there is no example or explanation that can demonstrate how 1 equals -1. It is not a valid mathematical statement.

3. Is there a mistake in the equation 1 = -1?

Yes, there is a mistake in the equation 1 = -1. The equal sign is used to show that two quantities are equal, but in this case, the two quantities (1 and -1) are not equal.

4. What are some common misconceptions about the equation 1 = -1?

Some common misconceptions are that 1 and -1 are interchangeable, that the equation is only true in certain situations, or that it is a trick question. However, the equation is simply not true in any mathematical context.

5. How can I better understand the concept of equality in mathematics?

The concept of equality in mathematics is based on the idea that two quantities are exactly the same. In order for an equation to be true, it must follow the rules of mathematics and have valid operations on both sides. It is important to carefully evaluate and check the validity of an equation before attempting to prove or disprove it.