Proving 6 Divides a(a+1)(2a+1)

• Thread starter Zhalfirin88
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving dividing integers by 3. They start with showing that 2 and 3 divide the same number, and then use algebraic manipulation to show that the product of the two expressions is even. They then use substitution to simplify the equation, and show that the remainder when dividing by 3 is either 0, 1 or 2. Finally, they show that the remainder is zero if the integer is negative, and by using modular arithmetic they prove that the remainder is also zero if the integer is positive.
Zhalfirin88

Homework Statement

Prove that, for any integer a, 6 divides a(a+1)(2a+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, 6 divides something if 2 and 3 divide the same number, so I must show that that product is even, and that the sum of its digits is divisible by 3. However, I don't see any algebraic manipulation to do either.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: subtract the expression for [itex]a \rightarrow a + 1[/itex] and [itex]a[/itex]. i.e. calculate:

[tex]
(a + 1) (a + 2) \left[2 (a + 1) + 1\right] - a (a + 1) (2 a + 1) = ?
[/tex]

After you simplify this, what do you get?

Also, for [itex]a = 1[/itex], your expression is [itex]1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3 = 6[/itex], which is divisible by 6, and for [itex]a = 0[/itex], you get a zero, which is divisible by any non-zero integer.

It should be clear what method you should use by now.

Finally, what does your expression reduce to if you make the substitution [itex]a \rightarrow -a[/itex], i.e. what do you get for:
[tex]
(-a) (-a + 1) \left[2 (-a) + 1\right]
[/tex]

and can you rewrite it in terms of your original expression for some positive integer value?

Dickfore said:
Hint: subtract the expression for [itex]a \rightarrow a + 1[/itex] and [itex]a[/itex]. i.e. calculate:

[tex]
(a + 1) (a + 2) \left[2 (a + 1) + 1\right] - a (a + 1) (2 a + 1) = ?
[/tex]

After you simplify this, what do you get?

Also, for [itex]a = 1[/itex], your expression is [itex]1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3 = 6[/itex], which is divisible by 6, and for [itex]a = 0[/itex], you get a zero, which is divisible by any non-zero integer.

It should be clear what method you should use by now.

I have no idea what you're doing with that hint. I reduced it but I don't get why substituting [tex] (a+1) [/tex] and subtracting the expression for [tex]a[/tex] works?

Dickfore said:
Finally, what does your expression reduce to if you make the substitution [itex]a \rightarrow -a[/itex], i.e. what do you get for:
[tex]
(-a) (-a + 1) \left[2 (-a) + 1\right]
[/tex]

and can you rewrite it in terms of your original expression for some positive integer value?

Okay, I reduced it to [tex] -2a^3+2a^2-a [/tex] but . . I'm not sure what you mean by rewriting it?

Zhalfirin88 said:
I reduced it but I don't get why substituting [tex] (a+1) [/tex] and subtracting the expression for [tex]a[/tex] works?

What did you get?

[tex] 6a^2+12a+6 [/tex] Each term is divisible by 6, so it works, but I'm not really sure where you came up with subtracting expressions?

Last edited:
Let's call [itex]f(a) \equiv a(a + 1)(2 a + 1)[/itex]. What you had shown is:

[tex]
f(a + 1) - f(a) = 6 (a^{2} + 2 a - 1)
[/tex]

Now, if we assume that [itex]f(a)[/itex] is divisible by 6, what can you say about [itex]f(a + 1)[/itex]? What principle does this remind you of?

Kinda induction, but I'm guessing that's not what you're getting at?

If [tex] f(a+1)−f(a)=6(a^2+2a−1) [/tex] and we assume [itex] f(a) [/itex] is divisible by 6 then [itex] f(a+1) [/itex] is also divisible by 6.

Yes, I was precisely getting at that. But, what you had shown is that it is correct for positive integers (natural numbers). Now, you need to prove it for negative integers (for zero, I think I already showed it). That is why I told you to consider it for [itex]a = -n[/itex], where [itex]n[/itex] is again a positive integer. Do not expand it!

[tex]
f(-n) = (-n) (-n + 1) \left[2(-n) + 1\right] = - n (n - 1) (2 n - 1) = (n - 1) \left[(n - 1) + 1\right] \left[2 (n - 1) + 1\right] = - f(n - 1)
[/tex]

That's it!

Not to distract from the excellent inductive approach, but you can also do this using modular arithmetic. The remainder when you divide a by 3 is either 0, 1 or 2. What does that make the remainder of a(a+1)(2a+1) in each of those cases?

Last edited:

Dick said:
Not to distract from the excellent inductive approach, but you can also do this using modular arithmetic. The remainder when you divide a by 3 is either 0, 1 or 2. What does that make the remainder of a(a+1)(2a+1) in each of those cases?

If you did this by modular arithmetic you would have to take by mod 2 and mod 3, correct? And the remainder is zero =)

Zhalfirin88 said:
If you did this by modular arithmetic you would have to take by mod 2 and mod 3, correct? And the remainder is zero =)

Sure. But a(a+1) is obviously zero mod 2. mod 3 takes a little more work. Just a little.

Related to Proving 6 Divides a(a+1)(2a+1)

1. How do you prove that 6 divides a(a+1)(2a+1)?

In order to prove that 6 divides a(a+1)(2a+1), we need to show that there exists an integer k such that a(a+1)(2a+1) = 6k. This can be done by simplifying the expression and showing that it is equal to 6 times an integer.

2. What is the first step in proving that 6 divides a(a+1)(2a+1)?

The first step is to expand the expression a(a+1)(2a+1) and then simplify it to get a new expression in the form of 6k, where k is an integer.

3. Can you use induction to prove that 6 divides a(a+1)(2a+1)?

Yes, induction can be used to prove that 6 divides a(a+1)(2a+1). The base case would be to show that the statement is true for a=1. Then, we can assume that the statement is true for n and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for n+1.

4. Why is it important to prove that 6 divides a(a+1)(2a+1)?

Proving that 6 divides a(a+1)(2a+1) is important in mathematics because it is a fundamental property of divisibility. It also has many practical applications, such as in number theory and algebraic manipulations.

5. Are there any alternative methods for proving that 6 divides a(a+1)(2a+1)?

Yes, there are alternative methods for proving that 6 divides a(a+1)(2a+1). One method is to use the Euclidean algorithm to show that 6 is a common divisor of a(a+1)(2a+1). Another method is to use modular arithmetic and show that the expression is congruent to 0 (mod 6).