Evaluating Triple Integrals on a Sphere in the First Octant

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the triple integral of z^2 dxdydz over the first octant of a sphere with radius a, using spherical coordinates. For part i), the correct boundaries are 0 <= r <= a, 0 <= φ <= pi/2, and 0 <= θ <= pi/2. For part ii), the boundaries are 0 <= r <= a, 0 <= φ <= pi/2, and 0 <= θ <= pi/2. The final solution for part ii) is r^5/30 * pi.
amiras

Homework Statement

Evaluate triple integral

z^2 dxdydz

throughout
i) the part of the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = a^2 (first octant)
ii)the complete interior of the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = a^2 (first octant)

Homework Equations

It is probably good idea to work in spherical coords.

z = r*cosφ
x = r*sinφ cosθ
y = r*sinφ sinθ

dxdydz = r^2 sinφ drdφdθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'l start at part ii) because its the part I can do.
Here the boundaries are:
0 =< r < a
0 =< φ < pi/2
0 =< θ < pi/2

the integration now becomes:

(Int[r=0, a] r^4 dr )( Int[φ=0, pi/2] sinφcos^2 φ)( Int [θ=0, pi/2]) = r^5/30 * pi

i) But for part i), I am confused. The integral should be evaluated only on the surface of the sphere. The radius a is constant in length, so how should r be defined?
a < r < a, makes no sense.

Need advice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the problem is quoted correctly?

Part i obviously means the interior of the sphere in the first octant. Otherwise it wouldn't be a triple integral.

You are right, I understand what nonsense I was thinking about. The part i) is not quoted correctly. Thanks!

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object or the mass of a three-dimensional region with varying density.

2. How is a triple integral evaluated?

A triple integral is evaluated by breaking down the three-dimensional region into smaller, simpler shapes like cubes or cylinders, and then integrating over each variable (x, y, and z) one at a time. This results in three separate integrals that are then combined to get the final value.

3. What are the limits of integration in a triple integral?

The limits of integration in a triple integral are the boundaries of the three-dimensional region that is being integrated over. These boundaries can be determined by the equations of the surfaces that define the region or by the intersection points of these surfaces.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite triple integral?

A definite triple integral has specific limits of integration and results in a single numerical value, while an indefinite triple integral has no limits and results in a function of three variables that can be further manipulated.

5. What are some real-life applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, the mass of a three-dimensional object with varying density, the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and the probability of an event occurring in a three-dimensional space.