1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a known function of position via Chain Rule

1. Jul 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the Chain Rule to prove that for rectilinear motion, when the acceleration is a known function of position, you can find the velocity as a function of position via the integral

[tex]\frac{v^{2}-v_{0}^{2}}{2} = \int^{s}_{s_{0}}a(s)ds[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]v^{2}=v_{0}^{2}\times2as[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took the left fraction, substituted v^2, simplified and got [tex]as[/tex]. I let A be as, then took dA to get a da. Now I'm stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2008 #2
    I think you simplified wrong. It's a multipication sign not addition. See what I mean?

4. Jul 6, 2008 #3
    Hold up, I wrote the question on the board wrong -- it is supposed to be a plus for the relevant equation part.

5. Jul 6, 2008 #4
    I'm not exactly sure what they're asking here. For constant accelerations, you "relevant equation" is basically the answer, assuming you swap out the "x" for a "+" and take a square root. What's throwing me is the request for proof by chain rule.

6. Jul 6, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Chain Rule

Hi kylera! :smile:

You were asked to use the Chain Rule. So …

Hint: the LHS is ∫vdv. So use the Chain Rule on dv. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?