Proving Cauchy Convergence with Inequalities

In summary: Since the sequence is decreasing, it is Cauchy.In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a sequence has a limit by showing it is a Cauchy sequence. Various methods are suggested, such as using the definition of greatest lower bound or using an inequality. Ultimately, it is determined that the limit of the sequence is zero and the use of logarithms can help in proving this.
Esran

Homework Statement

Proposition19part1-1.png

Homework Equations

See picture in 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

See picture in 1.

I think what's tripping me up is that I'm not sure how to go about picking my N. I want to show the sequence has a limit by proving that it is Cauchy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's really not at all convincing. You know the limit is zero and the sequence is decreasing, right? Why can't you look at the limit of log(p^n)=n*log(p)?

I do not know the limit is zero. That is the next portion of the proof. I only wish to prove the limit exists by using the definition of a Cauchy sequence. Because we know that any sequence which is Cauchy is convergent.

Ok, but I still don't see why you can't use p^n=exp(log(p)*n) to show it converges to 0 and that it is Cauchy at the same time. I.e. find an N such that p^N<epsilon and use that 0<p^n<p^N for n>N.

Last edited:
Well generally to prove any sort of limit (of a sequence, of a function, etc.), you really should have an idea of what the limit actually is. As dick mentioned, the limit is clearly 0 since if 0 < p < 1, then as n gets very large, p^n tends to zero (and naturally, the N you choose in the definition of convergent or cauchy sequences will be bigger for p closer to 1, but < 1). Figuring these parts out helps tremendously in checking the eventual proof by the formal definition.

Now in this case, it seems even easier to actually prove that the sequence converges to 0, but assuming you did not know this, the following should work.

We need |p^m - p^n| < epsilon for m, n > N. Clearly, p^m > 0 (since p > 0). Moreover, note that if n > N, then p^n < p^N (Why?). You should be able to complete the proof now.

"We need |p^m - p^n| < epsilon for m, n > N. Clearly, p^m > 0 (since p > 0). Moreover, note that if n > N, then p^n < p^N (Why?) Because 0 < p < 1, so raising it to a higher exponent makes it smaller. You should be able to complete the proof now."

But hold on snipez90, what is the big "N" you mentioned here? Where did it come from? How did you pick it, because one of the things I wish to prove is that there is such an N.

Esran said:
"We need |p^m - p^n| < epsilon for m, n > N. Clearly, p^m > 0 (since p > 0). Moreover, note that if n > N, then p^n < p^N (Why?) Because 0 < p < 1, so raising it to a higher exponent makes it smaller. You should be able to complete the proof now."

But hold on snipez90, what is the big "N" you mentioned here? Where did it come from? How did you pick it, because one of the things I wish to prove is that there is such an N.

More abstractly, you have a sequence that's decreasing and bounded below. Look at the greatest lower bound. It's always Cauchy. Use the definition of 'greatest lower bound' and the monotonicity of the sequence. To show the greatest lower bound is really zero, use the log.

Or you could use the inequality: [tex] (1 + h)^n \ge 1 + hn [/tex] where n is an integer and h is a positive number. Since 0 < p < 1, set p = 1/(1+h).

Use the inequality to find an upper bound for the sequence that converges to 0.

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of real numbers that has the property that for any small positive real number epsilon, there exists some integer N such that the distance between any two terms of the sequence after the Nth term is less than epsilon. In simpler terms, this means that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer together as the sequence goes on.

2. How do you prove a sequence is Cauchy?

To prove a sequence is Cauchy, you must show that for any small positive real number epsilon, there exists some integer N such that the distance between any two terms of the sequence after the Nth term is less than epsilon. This can be done by using the definition of a Cauchy sequence and manipulating the terms of the sequence to find a suitable N value.

3. What is the importance of proving a sequence is Cauchy?

Proving a sequence is Cauchy is important because it shows that the sequence is convergent, meaning that it approaches a specific limit as the number of terms increases. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, including calculus and analysis.

4. Can a sequence be both Cauchy and divergent?

No, a sequence cannot be both Cauchy and divergent. The definition of a Cauchy sequence requires that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer together, while a divergent sequence does not have a specific limit and the terms do not approach a specific value.

5. Is the Cauchy criterion sufficient for proving convergence?

Yes, the Cauchy criterion is sufficient for proving convergence. This is because if a sequence is Cauchy, it is also convergent, meaning that it approaches a specific limit as the number of terms increases.