Proving a Theorem, related to Gerschgorin

• Thread starter syj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the theorem states that for a complex nxn matrix A, the spectral radius p(A) is less than or equal to the maximum absolute value of the entries in any row, denoted by i. This can be proven by considering the set of nxn matrices with complex entries (Cnxn), defining p(A) as the smallest circle in the complex plane centered at the origin that contains all the characteristic values of A, and starting with the simple case where A is diagonalizable.
syj

Homework Statement

Here is the theorem I need to prove:

For A=(aij)[itex]\in[/itex]Cnxn

we have

p(A)[itex]\leq[/itex][itex]max_{i}[/itex][itex]\Sigma^{n}_{j=1}[/itex]|aij|

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to go about this. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Some definitions might be nice.
What is [itex]C_{n \times n}[/itex]? What is [itex]p(A)[/itex]? What does i run over?

Sorry,
Cnxn is the set of nxn matrices with entries in the complex number system.

p(A)= max{|[itex]\lambda[/itex]1|, |[itex]\lambda[/itex]2|, ...}

p(A) is the smallest circle in the comple plane, centered at the origin, which contains all the characteristic values of A.

Maybe it's a good idea to start with the simple case, where A is diagonalizable.

1. What is Gerschgorin's theorem?

Gerschgorin's theorem is a mathematical theorem that provides a method for finding the eigenvalues of a square matrix by considering the matrix's diagonal entries and the sum of the absolute values of each row or column.

2. How is Gerschgorin's theorem used to prove a theorem?

Gerschgorin's theorem can be used to prove a theorem by helping to identify the possible range of eigenvalues for a given matrix. This information can then be used to show that the eigenvalues satisfy the conditions of the theorem being proved.

3. What are the key concepts of Gerschgorin's theorem?

The key concepts of Gerschgorin's theorem include diagonal entries, absolute values, and the sum of rows or columns. These concepts are used to determine the range of possible eigenvalues for a given matrix.

4. Can Gerschgorin's theorem be used for non-square matrices?

No, Gerschgorin's theorem only applies to square matrices. This is because it relies on the diagonal entries of the matrix, which only exist for square matrices.

5. What are the practical applications of Gerschgorin's theorem?

Gerschgorin's theorem has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It can be used to analyze the stability of dynamical systems, determine the convergence of numerical methods, and analyze the behavior of graphs and networks.