Proving |ab|=|ba| in a Group G

• Thread starter Jupiter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, Jupiter says that you will have to handle the |ab|=\infty case seperately and that it will involve some type of proof by contradiction. NateTG says that he has a proof by induction.
Jupiter
I have to show that in a group G |ab|=|ba| for all a,b in G.

I don't have a clue how to proceed. I assume |ab|=n. I feel that using associativity, identity and inverse should be important. But I don't see how these tools will get me to |ba|=n.
I've considered proof by contradiciton, but that doesn't seem to be useful here.

Can someone please give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I guess my first question is what you mean by |x|.

Sorry, I figured |ab| would be understood to mean the order of ab; that is, the least positive number n such that (ab)^n=e. I'm new in the study of algebra, so I do not know what notation is most widely recognized, or in what contexts.

I thought that might be what you mean, but I wasn't sure; I've only seen that notation used for the order of a group, not the individual elements.

Anyways, try this:

Start with the equation [itex](ab)^n=e[/itex]. What can you do to this equation to turn the left hand side into [itex](ba)^n[/itex]?

Oh, and don't forget this fun bit of number theory: [itex]a | b \wedge b | a \implies a = b[/itex] (if both a and b are positive integers)

here's one way i think it could work:
prove [tex]a\left( ba\right) ^{n}a^{-1}=\left( ab\right) ^{n}[/tex] (by induction, eg).

then [tex]\left( ba\right) ^{\left| ba\right| }=e\rightarrow \left( ab\right) ^{\left| ba\right| }=a\left( ba\right) ^{\left| ba\right| }a^{-1}=e\rightarrow \left| ab\right| |\left| ba\right| [/tex].

then prove [tex]\left( ba\right) ^{n}=a^{-1}\left( ab\right) ^{n}a[/tex] to get that [tex]\left| ba\right| |\left| ab\right| [/tex].

Phoenixtoth: Your first line of LaTeX is not generally true. Although for your argument you could go with [tex]a(e)a^{-1}=e[/tex] which is obviously true.
Jupiter:
Perhaps you should look at some simple cases:

If [tex]|ab|=1[/tex] you should have little trouble.

Once you've figured that one out, try [tex]|ab|=2[/tex]. You should be able to work it out from there.

I think you'll have to handle the [tex]|ab|=\infty[/tex] case seperately, and that it will involve some type of proof by contradiction.

nateTG,
if it's not true, can you find a counter example?

here's my proof by induction. can you spot an error?
[tex]a\left( ba\right) ^{n}a^{-1}=\left( ab\right) ^{n}[/tex] is clear for n=0 if empty products are defined to equal e.

assume now that [tex]a\left( ba\right) ^{n}a^{-1}=\left( ab\right) ^{n}[/tex] for n>0. multiply the left hand side by [tex]a^{-1}[/tex] and the right hand side by [tex]a[/tex] to get this:
[tex]\left( ba\right) ^{n}=a^{-1}\left( ab\right) ^{n}a[/tex]. then
[tex]a\left( ba\right) ^{n+1}a^{-1}=a\left( ba\right) ^{n}\left( ba\right) a^{-1}=a\left( a^{-1}\left( ab\right) ^{n}a\right) \left( ba\right) a^{-1}=\left( ab\right) ^{n+1}[/tex].

Sorry. Dyslexia strikes again. I thought you had:
[tex]a(ab)^na^{-1}=(ab)^n[/tex] which is not generally true.

Related to Proving |ab|=|ba| in a Group G

What is a group G?

A group G is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and an operation (usually denoted as *) that combines two elements to form a third element. The operation must have the properties of closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility.

What does |ab| mean in a group G?

In a group G, |ab| refers to the order (or cardinality) of the element ab. This is the number of times the element needs to be combined with itself using the group's operation before reaching the identity element.

Why is it important to prove |ab|=|ba| in a group G?

Proving |ab|=|ba| in a group G is important because it is a fundamental property of groups known as commutativity. It tells us that the order in which we combine two elements in a group does not affect the result, which can be very useful in solving problems.

How do you prove |ab|=|ba| in a group G?

To prove |ab|=|ba| in a group G, we need to show that for any two elements a and b in the group, the order of ab is equal to the order of ba. This can be done by using the properties of groups, such as associativity and invertibility, and manipulating the expressions until they are equal.

Can |ab|=|ba| be proven in any group G?

No, |ab|=|ba| may not hold true in all groups. It is a property known as commutativity and only certain groups, such as abelian groups, satisfy this property. Therefore, it is important to specify the group G in which we are trying to prove |ab|=|ba|.