Proving Acute Angles from Two Equations

• Thread starter Saptarshi Sarkar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, proving acute angles from two equations involves using the Pythagorean Theorem and the equation for the tangent of an acute angle to determine if the angle is acute. This method also requires knowledge of the properties of right triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles. By setting up and solving the equations correctly, one can prove that the angle in question is indeed acute. This technique is often used in geometry and trigonometry to classify and determine the properties of angles in various shapes and figures.
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
A body 'A' of mass 2m collides with a body 'B' of mass m initially at rest in the Laboratory frame. The two bodies are seen to fly off at angles 'a' and 'b' respectively with respect to the incident direction. Find whether the angles a and b acute or obtuse.
Relevant Equations
##p_{x_{initial}} = p_{x_{final}}##
##p_{y_{initial}} = p_{y_{final}}##
From the above two equations, I get :

IMG_20200108_200419.jpg

##2mv = 2mv_aCos(a) + mv_bCos(b)##
##0 = 2mv_aSin(a) - mv_bSin(b)##

But, I can't figure out how to prove how the angles should be. I think both the angles should be acute, but don't know how to show it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do we know if the collision is elastic?

etotheipi said:
Do we know if the collision is elastic?

The question does not specify it. But it's not inelastic as we can see that after the collision, both the particles remain separate.

Saptarshi Sarkar said:
The question does not specify it, but it's not inelastic as we can see that after the collision, both the particles remain separate.

It can still be inelastic if the particles remain separate, it just won't be totally inelastic.

If the collision is elastic, we can transform into the ZMF (by, in this case, subtracting ##\frac{2v}{3}## from all of our velocities before the collision). This would allow us to easily see that after the collision, in the ZMF, the particle of mass ##2m## moves away at some angle at ##\frac{v}{3}## and the particle of mass ##m## moves in exactly the opposite direction at ##\frac{2v}{3}##. From this point, we can add on the ZMF velocity vector of magnitude ##\frac{2v}{3}## again and see if we can solve for the angles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Without info on elasticity, what can you say about KE before and after?
What inequality can you write?

etotheipi said:
It can still be inelastic if the particles remain separate, it just won't be totally inelastic.
Even if the particles do not stay together, a glancing blow can be completely inelastic. Complete inelasticity just means there is a maximal loss of KE subject to other constraints. If there's no glue or friction then the momentum of the incoming particle in a direction parallel to the plane of contact is unaffected.

I think it is reasonably obvious that maximal deflection of the incoming particle occurs when the collision is perfectly elastic.

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
Even if the particles do not stay together, a glancing blow can be completely inelastic. Complete inelasticity just means there is a maximal loss of KE subject to other constraints. If there's no glue or friction then the momentum of the incoming particle in a direction parallel to the plane of contact is unaffected.

I didn't know this, thanks for enlightening me!
haruspex said:
I think it is reasonably obvious that maximal deflection of the incoming particle occurs when the collision is perfectly elastic.

I believe that when I scribbled down the elastic version a few days ago both angles were necessarily acute. So the inequality follows...

1. How do you prove an acute angle using two equations?

To prove an acute angle using two equations, you will need to use the properties of acute angles and algebraic manipulation. First, identify the given angle and its corresponding sides or angles. Then, use the properties of acute angles (such as an acute angle being less than 90 degrees) to set up an equation. Finally, use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown variable and show that the angle is indeed acute.

2. Can an acute angle be proven with only one equation?

No, an acute angle cannot be proven with only one equation. To prove an angle is acute, you need to use the properties of acute angles, which can only be expressed in multiple equations. Using only one equation would not provide enough information to prove the angle is acute.

3. What are the necessary properties of acute angles to prove them from two equations?

The necessary properties of acute angles to prove them from two equations are that an acute angle must be less than 90 degrees and have a positive measure. Additionally, the sides and angles of an acute angle must satisfy the Pythagorean theorem, where the sum of the squares of the two smaller sides is equal to the square of the longest side.

4. Can two different acute angles have the same measure?

No, two different acute angles cannot have the same measure. By definition, an acute angle must have a measure less than 90 degrees. If two angles have the same measure, they would both be equal to that measure, which would then make them congruent angles instead of two distinct acute angles.

5. Is it possible to prove an angle is acute using only geometric methods?

Yes, it is possible to prove an angle is acute using only geometric methods. This would involve constructing and manipulating figures to show that the angle satisfies the properties of acute angles. However, using algebraic methods may be more efficient and accurate in proving an angle is acute.