Proving by Induction: Sequence Increasing & Bounded Above by 3

• Thread starter seto6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary: That is a very confused statement. Your first step in solving a problem like this is to correctly and carefully write down what you are assuming for the induction hypothesis and what it is that you are trying to prove.isnt the limit as n-> infinity for an and an+1 the same thenlet lim n->infinity an=L so an+1=lso you got L=(1+2L)^.5 solving for L you get (L^2 -2L -1) =(L-1)^2 there L=1
seto6

Homework Statement

Let a1=1 and an+1= [tex]\sqrt{1+2a_{n}}[/tex]
where n is a natural number . Use the principle of mathematical induction to prove that the sequence {an} is increasing and bounded above by 3. conclude that the sequence converges and find its limit

2. The attempt at a solution

i can see that it converges to 1, and for induction i think you have to test for n=1 has to be true then n=k has to be true and n=k+1 has to be true but if it was a simple series like the summation of x from x=1 to n, i would be able to do it, i kinda lost. help please
b]

Physics news on Phys.org
seto6 said:

Homework Statement

Let a1=1 and an+1= [tex]\sqrt{1+2a_{n}}[/tex]
where n is a natural number . Use the principle of mathematical induction to prove that the sequence {an} is increasing and bounded above by 3. conclude that the sequence converges and find its limit

2. The attempt at a solution

i can see that it converges to 1
No, it doesn't converge to 1.

and for induction i think you have to test for n=1 has to be true then n=k has to be true and n=k+1 has to be true...

n=1 has to be true? n = k has to be true?? n = k+1 has to be true?

That is a very confused statement. Your first step in solving a problem like this is to correctly and carefully write down what you are assuming for the induction hypothesis and what it is that you are trying to prove.

isnt the limit as n-> infinity for an and an+1 the same then

let lim n->infinity an=L so an+1=l

so you got L=(1+2L)^.5 solving for L you get (L^2 -2L -1) =(L-1)^2 there L=1and i have to prove that it is increasing and its bounded above by 3

i don't know how to prove this using induction

As LCKurzt suggested, do it step by step. First you have to prove it holds for n = 1. Then assume it holds for n = k. Then inquire what happens for n = k + 1 (using the assumption it holds for n = k).

but the problem is its a sequence, if it was a series it would of been much easier to test for n=1, n=k and test for n=k+1

seto6 said:
isnt the limit as n-> infinity for an and an+1 the same then

let lim n->infinity an=L so an+1=l

so you got L=(1+2L)^.5 solving for L you get (L^2 -2L -1) =(L-1)^2 there L=1

That expression doesn't give (L-1)2. Also, until you have shown the sequence has a limit you can't conclude any answer gotten with that method is correct.

and i have to prove that it is increasing and its bounded above by 3

i don't know how to prove this using induction

seto6 said:
but the problem is its a sequence, if it was a series it would of been much easier to test for n=1, n=k and test for n=k+1

Induction problems don't have to be sequences or series either one. They just have to be statements about the positive integers. You actually have two problems, to show the sequence is increasing and to show it is bounded above by 3. Why don't you try the bounded by 3 part first:

1. Check it is true for n = 1 (trivial)
2.Write down the induction hypotheses.
3.Write down what you are trying to prove.

Then see what happens...

FAQ: Proving by Induction: Sequence Increasing & Bounded Above by 3

What is Proving by Induction?

Proving by induction is a mathematical method used to prove that a statement or property holds true for all natural numbers. It involves using the principle of mathematical induction, which states that if a statement is true for the first natural number and can be shown to be true for the next natural number by using the first, then the statement is true for all natural numbers.

How is Proving by Induction used for Sequence Increasing & Bounded Above by 3?

In the context of sequences, proving by induction can be used to show that a sequence is increasing and bounded above by a certain value, such as 3. This means that the terms in the sequence get larger as the natural numbers increase and that the sequence has an upper limit of 3.

What are the steps for Proving by Induction for Sequence Increasing & Bounded Above by 3?

The steps for proving by induction for sequence increasing and bounded above by 3 are as follows:

• Step 1: Prove the statement is true for the first natural number, usually 1.
  • Step 2: Assume the statement is true for the nth natural number, where n is any natural number.
  • Step 3: Show that the statement is also true for the (n+1)th natural number, using the assumption from step 2.
  • Step 4: Since the statement is true for the first natural number and can be shown to be true for the next natural number, it is true for all natural numbers by the principle of mathematical induction.

Why is Proving by Induction useful for Sequence Increasing & Bounded Above by 3?

Proving by induction is useful for sequence increasing and bounded above by 3 because it provides a systematic and rigorous way to prove that a statement or property holds true for all natural numbers. It allows us to prove a statement for an infinite number of cases by only considering a few specific cases.

Can Proving by Induction be used for other mathematical concepts?

Yes, proving by induction can be used for a wide range of mathematical concepts, including sequences, series, inequalities, and divisibility. It is a powerful tool in mathematical proofs and is widely used in various branches of mathematics, such as algebra, number theory, and analysis.