Proving Conservation of Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of proving the conservation of momentum in a specific situation involving a bouncing ball. The speaker mentions their knowledge of relevant equations and the need to set up and show an experiment. They also bring up concerns about the velocity of the floor and the mass of the ball. Another person suggests that before proving the conservation of momentum, the conservation of mass and energy should also be proven.
WillTheBassis
Hey guys I've a theory that my physics lecturer wants me to prove, basically I have to prove the conservation of momentum which is easy enough but it's in a specific situation which happens to be a bouncing ball.

So obviously I know relevant SUVAT equations and I know how to work out change in momentum in collisions and other situations and as well as working it out I have to set up and show the experiment.

So the initial velocity of the ball will be 0ms-1 and I can measure the mass of the ball quite easily I can also measure the impact velocity using light gates but I then run into a problem can I assume that the velocity of the floor is 0ms-1 and what do I do for the mass?

And help you guys could offer would be fantastic because I've hit a little bit of a rut with it. Thanking you all in advance. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
WillTheBasis,

It appears to me that before you can prove the conservation of momentum, you first have to prove the conservation of mass and the conservation of energy. As far as I know, their working mechanism is unknown, but they have never been found to be wrong. They are too basic to prove, unless you have something like a quantum theory explanation that defines what is happening.

Ratch

What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the total momentum before an event must be equal to the total momentum after the event, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

Why is it important to prove conservation of momentum?

Proving conservation of momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that helps us understand and predict the motion of objects. It also allows us to analyze and solve problems involving collisions and interactions between objects.

What are the different ways to prove conservation of momentum?

There are several ways to prove conservation of momentum, including using mathematical equations, conducting experiments, and using real-world examples. In all cases, the key is to show that the total momentum before and after an event remains the same, despite any changes in individual momenta.

Can conservation of momentum be violated?

No, conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. In a closed system, the total momentum must remain constant, regardless of any external forces or interactions between objects.

How does conservation of momentum relate to other laws of physics?

Conservation of momentum is closely related to other laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of conservation of energy. It is also a fundamental principle in the study of mechanics and is used in various fields, including engineering, astrophysics, and particle physics.