1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Conservation of Momentum

1. Jun 17, 2012 #1
    Hey guys I've a theory that my physics lecturer wants me to prove, basically I have to prove the conservation of momentum which is easy enough but it's in a specific situation which happens to be a bouncing ball.

So obviously I know relevant SUVAT equations and I know how to work out change in momentum in collisions and other situations and as well as working it out I have to set up and show the experiment.

So the initial velocity of the ball will be 0ms-1 and I can measure the mass of the ball quite easily I can also measure the impact velocity using light gates but I then run into a problem can I assume that the velocity of the floor is 0ms-1 and what do I do for the mass?

And help you guys could offer would be fantastic because I've hit a little bit of a rut with it. Thanking you all in advance. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2012 #2
    WillTheBasis,

It appears to me that before you can prove the conservation of momentum, you first have to prove the conservation of mass and the conservation of energy. As far as I know, their working mechanism is unknown, but they have never been found to be wrong. They are too basic to prove, unless you have something like a quantum theory explanation that defines what is happening.

Ratch

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook