Proving continuity with sequences

In summary, the proof provided shows that for any sequence $x_n$ converging to $0$, the sequence $f(x_n)=10x_n^2$ also converges to $f(x_0)=0$, thus proving that $f(x)=10x^2$ is continuous at $x_0=0$. This is done by showing that for any given $\varepsilon > 0$, there exists a $N \in \mathbb{N}$ such that $|f(x_n)-f(x_0)| < \varepsilon$ for all $n \geq N$.
Carla1985
Could someone confirm that I've answered this question right please
\[

Prove\ using\ the\ sequence\ definition\ that\ f(x)=10x^2\ is\ continuous\ at\ x_0=0\\
I\ have:\ take\ any\ sequence\ x_n\ converging\ to\ 0.\ Then\ f(x_n)=10x_n^2\ converges\ to\ f(x_0)=10*0^2=0\ so\ it\ is\ continuous.\\
is\ that\ sufficient\ for\ the\ proof?

\]
Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
Carla1985 said:
\[

Prove\ using\ the\ sequence\ definition\ that\ f(x)=10x^2\ is\ continuous\ at\ x_0=0\\
I\ have:\ take\ any\ sequence\ x_n\ converging\ to\ 0.\ Then\ f(x_n)=10x_n^2\ converges\ to\ f(x_0)=10*0^2=0\ so\ it\ is\ continuous.\\

\]
Thankyou

I'm not sure what you mean by the sequence definition (I have not done Real Analysis in a while) but to prove continuity here I would simply show that \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} |x - 0 | < \delta \implies \left| 10x^2 - 0 \right| < \epsilon \end{align*}\).

Working on the second inequality we find

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| 10x^2 - 0 \right| &< \epsilon \\ \left| 10x^2 \right| &< \epsilon \\ 10 |x| ^2 &< \epsilon \\ |x| ^2 &< \frac{\epsilon}{10} \\ |x| &< \sqrt{ \frac{\epsilon}{10} } \\ |x - 0| &< \sqrt{ \frac{\epsilon}{10} } \end{align*}\)

So let \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \delta = \sqrt{ \frac{\epsilon}{10} } \end{align*}\) and reverse the process to complete your proof.

Our continuity definition has two parts:

A function f : D → R, D ⊂ R is continuous at x ∈ D
if either of the following equivalent conditions holds:
(i) for every ε > 0 there exists δ = δ(ε) > 0 such that for y ∈ D
y−x|<δ implies |f(y)−f(x)|<ε;
(ii) for every sequence (xn)n∈N, xn ∈ D, converging to x ∈ D it follows that (f (xn ))n∈N converges to f (x), i.e. limn→∞ xn = x implies limn→∞ f(xn) = f(x)

I think for this question we have to use the second part as I've already done the ones using the first part :)

Carla1985 said:
Our continuity definition has two parts:

A function f : D → R, D ⊂ R is continuous at x ∈ D
if either of the following equivalent conditions holds:
(i) for every ε > 0 there exists δ = δ(ε) > 0 such that for y ∈ D
y−x|<δ implies |f(y)−f(x)|<ε;
(ii) for every sequence (xn)n∈N, xn ∈ D, converging to x ∈ D it follows that (f (xn ))n∈N converges to f (x), i.e. limn→∞ xn = x implies limn→∞ f(xn) = f(x)

I think for this question we have to use the second part as I've already done the ones using the first part :)

A well known theorem on sequences extablishes that $\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f(x_{n})= f(x_{0})$ if and only if $\lim_{ n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n}=x_{0}$ and f(x) is continuous in $x=x_{0}$...Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Carla1985 said:
\[

\]
Thankyou

Hello Carla! Let us try. We want to prove that the sequence $(f(x_n))$ converges to $f(0)$ for any sequence $(x_n)$ converging to $0$. Let $\varepsilon >0$. From the convergence of $(x_n)$ we know that there is a $N_0 \in \mathbb{N}$ such that for all $n \geq N_0$ we have that $|x_n - 0| < \varepsilon$.

Using our definitions, we know that $f(x_n) = 10x_n^2$ and $f(0) = 0$, therefore we have that $|f(x_n) - f(0)| = |10 x_n^2|$. We want to conclude that this is less than $\varepsilon$, so it is desirable to have $|x_n^2| < \frac{\varepsilon}{10}$ and $|x_n| < \frac{\sqrt{\varepsilon}}{\sqrt{10}}$.

I feel this is where we use the convergence of the sequence $(x_n)$. Since it converges, we can take a $N \in \mathbb{N}$ such that $|x_n| < \sqrt{ \frac{\varepsilon}{10} }$. This argument works because the convergence is for all $\varepsilon >0$, in particular this one. :)

Putting it all together: using the convergence of the sequence $(x_n)$, take $N \in \mathbb{N}$ such that $|x_n| < \sqrt{ \frac{\varepsilon}{10} }$. It follows that $$|f(x_n) - f(0)| = |10x_n^2| < 10 \cdot \left( \sqrt{ \frac{\varepsilon}{10} } \right) = \varepsilon,$$ therefore the sequence $(f(x_n))$ converges to $f(0)$ and the function $f$ is continuous at $0$. :D

I hope this helps.

Regards. (Wave)

Carla1985 said:
\[

I\ have:\ take\ any\ sequence\ x_n\ converging\ to\ 0.\ Then\ \boxed{f(x_n)=10x_n^2\ converges\ to\ f(x_0)=10*0^2=0}\ so\ it\ is\ continuous.\\

\]
Thankyou
Your proof is correct apart from giving some justification for the assertion that I have boxed. If you are allowed to quote theorems about limits of products then you should say that is what you are doing here. Otherwise you will need to use something like Fantini's argument in the previous comment.

chisigma said:
A well known theorem on sequences extablishes that $\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f(x_{n})= f(x_{0})$ if and only if $\lim_{ n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n}=x_{0}$ and f(x) is continuous in $x=x_{0}$...Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Such a theorem does not exist

Yes it does. The conditions that $f$ is continuous, for every convergent sequence $x_n \to x_0$ we have that $f(x_n) \to f(x_0)$ and for all $\varepsilon >0$ exists $\delta >0$ such that $0 < |x -x_0| < \delta \implies |f(x) - f(x_0)| < \varepsilon$ are all equivalent in $\mathbb{R}$, or more generally, in metric spaces.

Related to Proving continuity with sequences

What is the definition of continuity?

The definition of continuity is the property of a function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, as the input values approach each other, the output values also approach each other.

Why is proving continuity important?

Proving continuity is important because it allows us to make accurate predictions and conclusions about a function. It also ensures that the function behaves in a predictable and consistent manner, which is essential in many scientific and mathematical applications.

What is the role of sequences in proving continuity?

Sequences are a useful tool in proving continuity because they allow us to approximate the behavior of a function at a point. By using sequences, we can show that a function approaches the same value from both sides of a point, which is a key aspect of continuity.

How do you prove continuity using sequences?

To prove continuity using sequences, we must show that for any sequence of inputs that approach a specific point, the corresponding outputs also approach the same point. This can be done by analyzing the behavior of the function as the inputs get closer and closer to the point in question.

What are some common techniques for proving continuity with sequences?

Some common techniques for proving continuity with sequences include the squeeze theorem, the use of inequalities, and the definition of continuity itself. Other techniques may involve breaking the function into simpler parts or using properties of limits to show that the function approaches the same value from both sides of a point.