Proving Corollary to Hahn-Banach Theorem: The Uniqueness of the Zero Point

• Thread starter Zoe-b
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a corollary in the notes about normed vector spaces and the Hahn-Banach Theorem. The corollary states that for a normed vector space X and a vector t in X, if all linear functionals in X vanish at t, then t must be equal to 0. The conversation includes an attempt at finding a proof and a hint for a possible solution using the Hahn-Banach Theorem.
Zoe-b

Homework Statement

To clarify- this isn't a homework problem; its something that's stated as a corollary in my notes (as in the proof is supposed to be obvious) and I haven't yet managed to prove it- I'm probably just missing something! Would appreciate a hint or a link to where I might find the proof.

Let X be a normed vector space, t [itex]\in[/itex] X such that for all g [itex]\in[/itex] X', g(t) = 0. Then t = 0.

Homework Equations

Hahn-Banach Theorem (stated on my course as:)
Let M be a subspace of a normed vector space X. Let f [itex]\in[/itex] M' . Then there exists g [itex]\in[/itex] X' such that the norm of f (wrt M') is equal to the norm of g (wrt X'), and g is equal to f on M.

The Attempt at a Solution

Just a bit confused- this is equivalent to, the only point all linear functionals can vanish at is zero. Presumably I want to define some linear subspace to then use but the only one that jumps out at me is span(t) which then doesn't seem to give me anything. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going in the right direction. Assume that ##t\neq 0##. Then set ##M= span(t)##. Now define a suitable nonzero functional on ##M## and extend it by Hahn-Banach.

Possibly in the right direction, but unfortunately not at speed :P

I want to find a linear functional f defined on M s.t. f vanishes at t (so that its Hahn-Banach extension will satisfy the given property).. but if f vanishes at t then it vanishes on the whole of M, which is not particularly useful. I'm probably being incredibly slow but would appreciate a further hint, sorry! Also I have a lot of exams to revise for and don't really want to spend loads of time trying to prove this one little bit... Thank you in advance for any help!

You want to assume that ##t\neq 0## and you want to find a linear functional that does not vanish at ##t##. This would be a contradiction with the property that ##t## has (namely, that all the linear functionals vanish there.

So, can you find a linear functional ##f:M\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## with ##M=span(t)## such that ##f(t)\neq 0##?

Hmmn I think I was getting confused with the logic of what I was trying to do then. I can take f(at) = a |t| (where |t| is its norm). Then if every functional vanishes at t then the extension of f, g satisfies g(t) = 0 = |t| and by positive definiteness t is zero.

Related to Proving Corollary to Hahn-Banach Theorem: The Uniqueness of the Zero Point

What is the Corollary to Hahn-Banach Theorem?

The Corollary to Hahn-Banach Theorem is a mathematical result that extends the Hahn-Banach Theorem to the case of real-valued functions defined on a vector space.

What is the significance of the Corollary to Hahn-Banach Theorem?

The Corollary to Hahn-Banach Theorem is significant because it allows for the extension of linear functionals on a subspace to the entire vector space, providing a powerful tool for solving optimization problems in functional analysis.

How does the Corollary to Hahn-Banach Theorem relate to the Separation Theorem?

The Corollary to Hahn-Banach Theorem is a corollary of the Hahn-Banach Theorem, which is a key result in functional analysis that can be used to prove the Separation Theorem. The Corollary extends the Hahn-Banach Theorem to the case of real-valued functions.

What are some applications of the Corollary to Hahn-Banach Theorem?

The Corollary to Hahn-Banach Theorem has many applications in functional analysis, including in optimization theory, convex analysis, and the study of topological vector spaces.

Is the Corollary to Hahn-Banach Theorem a difficult concept to understand?

The Corollary to Hahn-Banach Theorem may seem daunting at first, but with some background in functional analysis and vector spaces, it can be understood with practice and patience. It is a fundamental result in mathematics and is worth taking the time to fully grasp its implications.