Proving: cosA/(1-tanA) + sinA/(1-cotA) = sinA + cosA

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Miike012
Messages
1,009
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove:
cosA/(1-tanA) + sinA/(1-cotA) = sinA + cosA


I have tryed turning tan and cot into sin and cos and everything but I can not prove it... can some one help??
Thank you.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not until you show what you did that didn't work.
 
cos/(1-sin/cos)+ sin/(1-cos/sin)
cos^2/(cos-sin) + sin^2/(sin-cos)
(cos^2 - Sin^2)/(cos-sin)
 
Miike012 said:
cos/(1-sin/cos)+ sin/(1-cos/sin)
cos^2/(cos-sin) + sin^2/(sin-cos)
(cos^2 - Sin^2)/(cos-sin)

That's good! Now (cos^2-sin^2)=(cos-sin)*(cos+sin), right? Just multiply it out.
 
O wow, I don't know why I ddint notice that... I think I have been studying to long ha...
 
Miike012 said:
cos/(1-sin/cos)+ sin/(1-cos/sin)
cos^2/(cos-sin) + sin^2/(sin-cos)
(cos^2 - Sin^2)/(cos-sin)

I'm very impressed! It hass been a long time since the precalculus forum has seen any consistently correct algebraic manipulations from a student in just 1 post!
 
Thank you... I just started doing them yesterday.