Proving/Disproving: Int x, y, z Divisibility Claim

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove or disprove a statement involving integers and divisibility. The speaker also asks for help on how to choose whether to prove or disprove a statement and how to use contraposition for statements that are not implications. The expert advises to attempt to prove a statement only if it is true and explains how to use contraposition for the given statement. The expert also provides an example of how to use contraposition for a statement that is not an implication.
puddipop
I wasn't sure if this went in math, or computer science. I'm posting it here, because it is for a computer science course, although it's technically mathematical proofs...

1. The problem:
Prove or disprove the following claim: For all integers x, y, and z, if x does not divide yz then x does not divide y and x does not divide z.
I wrote this in logic notation first, so I have that down. What I am having difficulty with is the actual prove/disprove part. I understand the steps needed to be taken (1. Assume... etc.), but am having trouble actually applying it. There are other similar questions, but I figured if I could get some help on this question, I could figure out the other ones as well, by applying the same concept...

Also, how do I know what to choose: prove, or disprove? In what circumstances would I attempt to prove, and in what circumstances would I attempt to disprove?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
puddipop said:
I wasn't sure if this went in math, or computer science. I'm posting it here, because it is for a computer science course, although it's technically mathematical proofs...

1. The problem:
Prove or disprove the following claim: For all integers x, y, and z, if x does not divide yz then x does not divide y and x does not divide z.
I wrote this in logic notation first, so I have that down. What I am having difficulty with is the actual prove/disprove part. I understand the steps needed to be taken (1. Assume... etc.), but am having trouble actually applying it. There are other similar questions, but I figured if I could get some help on this question, I could figure out the other ones as well, by applying the same concept...

Also, how do I know what to choose: prove, or disprove? In what circumstances would I attempt to prove, and in what circumstances would I attempt to disprove?
You should attempt to prove a statement only if it is true. If it is false, you should disprove it, which you can do by a single counterexample.
An equivalent statement to the one you are given is its contrapositive: For all integers x, y, and z, if x divides y OR x divides z, then x divides yz. If you can prove that, then you will have proved the statement you're given.

Thank you for your help!

I have one more question: I know how to use contrapositive for an implication (P => Q becomes not(Q) => not(P)). But, I'm not sure how to do that for a statement that is not an implication.

For example, how would I apply contraposition to this sort of claim?: All x, y, z belonging to P (prime numbers), x2 + y2 =/= z2 (for all prime numbers x, y, and z, x2 + y2 =/= z2).

puddipop said:
Thank you for your help!

I have one more question: I know how to use contrapositive for an implication (P => Q becomes not(Q) => not(P)). But, I'm not sure how to do that for a statement that is not an implication.

For example, how would I apply contraposition to this sort of claim?: All x, y, z belonging to P (prime numbers), x2 + y2 =/= z2 (for all prime numbers x, y, and z, x2 + y2 =/= z2).
I assume you mean x2 and so on. You can write exponents using the X2 button at the top of the input window.

At any rate, that is an implication; namely,
if x, y, and z are prime numbers, then x2 + y2 ≠ z2. Now it should be easy to write the contrapositive.

1. How do you prove or disprove a divisibility claim?

To prove a divisibility claim, you need to show that the given integers x, y, and z satisfy the condition that x is divisible by both y and z. This can be done by using the definition of divisibility, which states that if x is divisible by y, then x = ky for some integer k. To disprove a divisibility claim, you can provide a counterexample where x is not divisible by both y and z.

2. What is the significance of proving or disproving a divisibility claim?

Proving or disproving a divisibility claim is significant because it helps to determine if a given set of numbers has a common factor. This can be useful in various mathematical calculations and problem-solving.

3. Can a divisibility claim be proven or disproven for any set of integers?

No, a divisibility claim can only be proven or disproven for a specific set of integers. Different sets of integers will have different divisibility properties, so a claim may be true for one set of integers but false for another.

4. What methods can be used to prove or disprove a divisibility claim?

To prove a divisibility claim, you can use the definition of divisibility, prime factorization, or mathematical induction. To disprove a claim, you can provide a counterexample or use a contradiction.

5. Are there any common mistakes when proving or disproving a divisibility claim?

Yes, some common mistakes include using incorrect definitions of divisibility, not considering all possible cases, and using incorrect or incomplete mathematical reasoning. It is essential to be careful and thorough when proving or disproving a divisibility claim to ensure accuracy.