Proving Eigenstate Energy: Multiply ψ(x) by Hamiltonian Operator for e-ikx

• Thread starter TheNE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenstate
In summary, the Hamiltonian operator for a free particle is given by the differential operator\hat{H}=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \Delta.The plane waveu_{\vec{k}}(\vec{x})=N \exp(\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x})is a generalized eigenfunction of \hat{H} (with N an arbitrary constant). The energy eigenvalue is found by taking the derivative of \hat{H} with respect to \vec{x} and solving for u_{\vec{k}}(\vec{x}).
TheNE
show that e-ikx is an eigenstate energy.

Do I start by multiplying the hamiltonian operator by ψ(x)?

So far I have ψ(x)(1/2m)(-i[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]d/dx)2=e-ikx

Physics news on Phys.org
The Hamiltonian usually goes on the other side of [itex]\psi[/itex]
Do you know schrodingers equation?

-[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]2/2m d2/dx2 eikx-iωt right?

To prove the eigenstate, I could just have Hψ(x)=hψ(x) and break H down into it's smaller parts, right? I thought I took good enough notes on eigenvalues... Tyvm!

Where H is the Hamiltonian operator

There's a right hand side to schrodingers equation too :P

It has not so much to do with the Schrödinger equation, but with the eigenvalue problem for the Hamiltonian [itex]\hat{H}[/itex]. In position space the Hamilton operator for a free particle is given by the differential operator
[tex]\hat{H}=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \Delta.[/tex]
It's indeed easy to schow that the plane wave
[tex]u_{\vec{k}}(\vec{x})=N \exp(\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x})[/tex]
is a generalized eigenfunction of [itex]\hat{H}[/itex] (with [itex]N[/itex] an arbitrary constant). Just take the derivatives and check that it fulfills the eigenvalue equation
[tex]\hat{H} u_{\vec{k}}(\vec{x})=E_{\vec{k}} u_{\vec{k}}(\vec{x}).[/tex]
You'll easily find the energy eigenvalue.

Also think about, whether this function can ever represent a state of the particle in the sense of quantum theory. To help a bit: The answer is a clear no!

Sometimes the eigenvalue equation for the Hamilton operator is called "the time-independent Schrödinger equation". Indeed, the relation with the Schrödinger equation,
[tex]\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t \psi(t,\vec{x})=\hat{H} \psi(t,\vec{x}),[/tex]
is that the function
[itex]\psi_{\vec{k}}(t,\vec{x})=u_{\vec{k}}(\vec{x}) \exp \left (-\mathrm{i} \frac{t E_{\vec{k}}}{\hbar} \right)[/itex]
is a solution. The eigenfunctions of the Hamilton operator represent the "stationary solutions", because it is constant in time up to the phase factor [itex]\exp(-\mathrm{i} t E_{\vec{k}}/\hbar)[/itex].

Thanks guys, I got help from my classmates and they walked me through the solution. I wish quantum mechanics (or what I've been exposed to it thus far in my Modern Physics course) was less "symbolic" and easier to apply. As an engineering student, I always seek ways to apply my knowledge, and this really messes with me haha.

Related to Proving Eigenstate Energy: Multiply ψ(x) by Hamiltonian Operator for e-ikx

1. What is the purpose of proving eigenstate energy?

The purpose of proving eigenstate energy is to understand the energy states of a quantum system. This allows us to predict the behavior of the system and make calculations related to energy and time evolution.

2. What is an eigenstate energy?

An eigenstate energy is a quantum state of a system that has a well-defined energy value. This means that the system will always have the same energy when measured, and it will not change over time unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How do you calculate eigenstate energy?

Eigenstate energy can be calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation for a given system. This involves finding the eigenvalues (energy values) and eigenvectors (corresponding wavefunctions) of the Hamiltonian operator.

4. What is the Hamiltonian operator?

The Hamiltonian operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to represent the total energy of a system. It takes into account the potential energy and kinetic energy of all particles in the system.

5. Why do we multiply ψ(x) by the Hamiltonian operator for e-ikx?

Multiplying ψ(x) by the Hamiltonian operator for e-ikx allows us to find the energy eigenvalues and eigenvectors for a specific wavefunction. This is an important step in solving the Schrödinger equation and understanding the energy states of a quantum system.