Proving Equal Cardinality of 0 < x < 1 & 0 < x ≤ 1

In summary, the conversation discussed the Schröder-Bernstein theorem, which states that if there is a 1-1 map from set A to set B and a 1-1 map from set B to set A, then the two sets have equal cardinality. The conversation also presented a proof for how to show that the sets {0 < x < 1 | x ∈ ℝ} and {0 < x ≤ 1 | x ∈ ℝ} have equal cardinality by creating a 1-1 map between them. It was also mentioned that the Cantor-Bernstein-Schröder theorem allows for the comparison of cardinal numbers and that the proof for this theorem is not trivial.
Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
O.K this has been bugging me all night since I first thought of it.

How would I show the sets,

[tex]\left\{ 0 < x < 1 \left| x \in \mathbb{R}\left\}[/tex]

[tex]\left\{ 0 < x \leq 1 \left| x \in \mathbb{R}\left\}[/tex]

Have equal cardinality?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know the Schröder-Bernstein theorem? If you have a 1-1 map from A to B and a 1-1 map from B to A then A and B have the same cardinality.

shmoe said:
Do you know the Schröder-Bernstein theorem? If you have a 1-1 map from A to B and a 1-1 map from B to A then A and B have the same cardinality.
I do in fact know that. Could you create a 1-1 map for this?

In any set of uncountable cardinality, adding a countable number of elements to it will not alter the cardinality. In this case, you're adding a countable number (in fact, finite, just one element) to an uncountable set, and this axiom applies.

Map each element that is not of the form 1/n (for natural n) to itself. Map the element 1/n from the second set to 1/(n+1) of the first set. This is clearly 1-1 and onto, so the two sets are bijective, and hence of equal cardinality.

Zurtex said:
I do in fact know that. Could you create a 1-1 map for this?

A is your first set (without 1). A->B, take the identity mapping. B->A take x->x/2.

Curious3141 said:
In any set of uncountable cardinality, adding a countable number of elements to it will not alter the cardinality. In this case, you're adding a countable number (in fact, finite, just one element) to an uncountable set, and this axiom applies.
I'm quite aware of that but I have not seen a proof.

AKG said:
Map each element that is not of the form 1/n (for natural n) to itself. Map the element 1/n from the second set to 1/(n+1) of the first set. This is clearly 1-1 and onto, so the two sets are bijective, and hence of equal cardinality.
Where does that map the element 2/3 to an element in the other set?

shmoe said:
A is your first set (without 1). A->B, take the identity mapping. B->A take x->x/2.
I don't get that at all :frown:

In AKG's post the function maps the element 2/3 to 2/3 just like it states here:

"Map each element that is not of the form 1/n (for natural n) to itself."

And secondly,

A=(0,1) B=(0,1]

the map f(x)=x is an injection from A to B, shmoe's identity mapping. Which part of that is causing confusion.

The map g(x)= x/2 is an injection from B to A.

Hence, by the Cantor, bernstein, schreoder theorem there exists some bijection between A and B.

go through it step by step; which part is the problem.

In general, there is bijection map from S to S' where S is any uncountable set and S' is S less a countably infinite set of points.

Let S' = S\{x_1,x_2,..}

since S' is infinite (otherwise S would be the union of {x_1,...,} and a finite set, there is a sequence y_1,y_2,... indexed by the natural numbers.

Define a map from S to S' via x_r is sent to y_{2r}, y_t is sent to y_{2t-1}, and every other element is sent to itself. This is a bijection between S and S'

The proof when S' is S less any finite number of points is left as an exercise.

O.K thanks, I kind of get that, well still not shmoe's post but I think I get the general idea of AKG's.

Well, do you actually know what the Cantor Bernstien Shroeder theorem states?

If X any Y are two sets and f is an injection from X to Y and g is an injection from Y to X then there exists a bijection between X and Y. The proof is elegant, fi you look it up. Anyway, shmoe wrote down two obvious injections. So, is it the injectivity part you don't follow, or was it that you didn't properly know what C-B-S states?

matt grime said:
Well, do you actually know what the Cantor Bernstien Shroeder theorem states?

If X any Y are two sets and f is an injection from X to Y and g is an injection from Y to X then there exists a bijection between X and Y. The proof is elegant, fi you look it up. Anyway, shmoe wrote down two obvious injections. So, is it the injectivity part you don't follow, or was it that you didn't properly know what C-B-S states?
Yes I was aware of what it states it's just I doubt I fully understood what it meant as the course I took that covered this was childish so most the mathematics I've taught myself. I guess I do actually get it now, just seemed rather odd to start off with.

Thanks for helping my understand.

What it does is allow us to make a relation on cardinal numbers.

Given two sets, we'll say |X| <=|Y| iff there is an injection between them. C-B-S allows us to state that

if |X|<=|Y| and |Y|<=|X|, then in fact |X|=|Y|.

This isn't a trivial theorem, adn if we were to instead use surjections, then the proof that this is an ordering would require the axiom of choice. The injection version doesn't. For me that is neither here nor there, but some people like to avoid the axiom of choice. and you need to admit it is a little odd that this is true.

Related to Proving Equal Cardinality of 0 < x < 1 & 0 < x ≤ 1

1. How is the equal cardinality of 0 < x < 1 and 0 < x ≤ 1 proven?

The equal cardinality of two sets can be proven by establishing a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets. In this case, we can show that for every element x in the set 0 < x < 1, there exists a unique corresponding element x' in the set 0 < x ≤ 1, and vice versa.

2. Why is proving equal cardinality important in mathematics?

Proving equal cardinality is important because it allows us to compare the sizes of two sets. If two sets have equal cardinality, it means that they have the same number of elements, even if the elements themselves are different. This concept is useful in various mathematical fields, such as set theory and combinatorics.

3. Can you give an example of a one-to-one correspondence between 0 < x < 1 and 0 < x ≤ 1?

Yes, we can establish a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets by multiplying each element x in the set 0 < x < 1 by 2. This will give us a new set of elements 0 < 2x < 2, which is equivalent to the set 0 < x ≤ 1. Therefore, for every element x in the first set, there exists a unique corresponding element x' in the second set, and vice versa.

4. What other methods can be used to prove equal cardinality?

Aside from establishing a one-to-one correspondence, other methods that can be used to prove equal cardinality include showing that the sets can be put into a one-to-one relationship with a known set, such as the natural numbers, or using the Cantor-Bernstein-Schroeder theorem, which states that if there exists an injection from set A to set B and an injection from set B to set A, then the two sets have equal cardinality.

5. Is proving equal cardinality always straightforward?

No, proving equal cardinality can sometimes be a complex and challenging task, especially for infinite sets. In some cases, it may require advanced mathematical concepts and techniques. Additionally, some sets may appear to have equal cardinality, but upon closer examination, it may be discovered that they do not. It is important to carefully analyze and consider all elements and possible relationships between the sets in order to accurately prove equal cardinality.