Proving Equilibrium in a System of Forces Using Moment Equations

In summary, the moment equations for points A, B, and C are all equal when the system is in equilibrium. By applying the equilibrium equations for forces in the x and y directions, it can be shown that Cx and Cy can be solved for in terms of P, simplifying the equations and clarifying their equality. The mistake in the approach was assuming the x and y coordinate systems were horizontal and perpendicular, respectively, instead of being aligned with the member.
kirab
Diagram is attached.

P = forces
M = free-moving moment
C = looks like a pin connection
L = distance between A and C, and C and B

With the system in equilibrium.

Question: Write the moment equations about point A, B and C and prove that they are all the same.

so basically I end up with:

(Counter-clockwise moment is positive.)

Summation of moments about point A: P(sin(90-theta))(2L) - M - Cx(sin(90-theta))(L) + Cy(sin(theta))(L) = 0

point B: P(sin(theta))(2L) + Cx(sin(90-theta))(L) - Cy(sin(theta))(L) - M = 0

point C: P(sin(90-theta))(L) - M + P(sin(theta))(L) = 0

which means that

P(cos(theta))(2L) - Cx(cos(theta))(L) + Cy(sin(theta))(L) = P(sin(theta))(2L) + Cx(cos(theta))(L) - Cy(sin(theta))(L) = P(cos(theta))(L) + P(sin(theta))(L) = M.

I don't see how these can be equal. Any mistakes seen here in the approach to solving this problem? Maybe pin supports Cx, Cy don't create moments?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Tut#3Q#2.jpg
    Tut#3Q#2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post homework questions in the homework section of PF.

Your attempt is excellent. Cx and Cy (at the support point C) do create moments about B or A. A and B are not pin suppports, they are just the ends of the member that rotates about C under the applied forces and couple, until equilibrium is reached. Note that by applying the equilibrium equations sum of Fx = 0 and sum of Fy = 0, you can solve for Cx and Cy in terms of P. That will greatly simplify the equations in a manner that will clarify their equality.

Sorry for posting in the wrong sub-forum :(

Thanks for the help!

My issue is: when I do summation of forces in x and y, I get

P = (Cy(cos(theta)) + Cx(sin(theta)))/(cos(theta)+sin(theta)) from sum of Fx and

P = -(Cx(cos(theta))+Cy(sin(theta)))/(sin(theta)-cos(theta)).

Which I'm not sure if they're equal?

Either way, I plugged the 1st P into
P(cos(theta))(2L) - Cx(cos(theta))(L) + Cy(sin(theta))(L) and
P(sin(theta))(2L) + Cx(cos(theta))(L) - Cy(sin(theta))(L) and
P(cos(theta))(L) + P(sin(theta))(L)

(all equal to M, this is the last line of my initial post)

When I plugged P into those, I got a huge mess that doesn't clarify the equality. Any tips?

Thanks

kirab said:
Sorry for posting in the wrong sub-forum :(

Thanks for the help!

My issue is: when I do summation of forces in x and y, I get

P = (Cy(cos(theta)) + Cx(sin(theta)))/(cos(theta)+sin(theta)) from sum of Fx and

P = -(Cx(cos(theta))+Cy(sin(theta)))/(sin(theta)-cos(theta)).

Which I'm not sure if they're equal?

Either way, I plugged the 1st P into
P(cos(theta))(2L) - Cx(cos(theta))(L) + Cy(sin(theta))(L) and
P(sin(theta))(2L) + Cx(cos(theta))(L) - Cy(sin(theta))(L) and
P(cos(theta))(L) + P(sin(theta))(L)

(all equal to M, this is the last line of my initial post)

When I plugged P into those, I got a huge mess that doesn't clarify the equality. Any tips?

Thanks
I am not sure from where you are getting your sum of Fx and Fy equations. Cx and the upper P are the only 2 forces in the x direction, and Cy and the lower P are the only 2 forces in the y direction. So in the x direction, you have Cx -P =0, and in the y direction, you have Cy -P = 0. Solve for Cx and Cy.

PhanthomJay said:
I am not sure from where you are getting your sum of Fx and Fy equations. Cx and the upper P are the only 2 forces in the x direction, and Cy and the lower P are the only 2 forces in the y direction. So in the x direction, you have Cx -P =0, and in the y direction, you have Cy -P = 0. Solve for Cx and Cy.

OH! Yeah My sum of Fx and Fy came from looking at my altered diagram... which had the member lying horizontally, so I stupidly assumed that the x-coordinate system was horizontal and that the y-coordinate system was perpendicular to that, simply from looking at my diagram which has been rotated :P

Yes, with that P = Cx = Cy equation, it can be easily shown that sum of Ma = sum of Mb = sum of Mc. Thanks for the help.

1. What is the moment problem in statics?

The moment problem in statics is a mathematical problem that involves finding the forces and torques acting on a rigid body in equilibrium. It is used to determine the stability and balance of a structure or object.

2. How is the moment problem solved?

The moment problem is solved by analyzing the forces and torques acting on a rigid body using the principles of static equilibrium. This involves setting up and solving equations to find the unknown forces and torques.

3. What are the key concepts in the moment problem?

The key concepts in the moment problem include moments, forces, torques, and equilibrium. Moments are the product of a force and its distance from a point. Forces are any push or pull acting on a body. Torques are the product of a force and its moment arm. Equilibrium is the state in which all forces and torques acting on a body are balanced.

4. What are some real-world applications of the moment problem?

The moment problem has many real-world applications, such as in designing and analyzing structures like bridges, buildings, and machinery. It is also used in understanding the stability of objects like furniture and vehicles. Additionally, the moment problem is important in fields like physics, engineering, and architecture.

5. What are the limitations of the moment problem?

One limitation of the moment problem is that it assumes rigid bodies and does not take into account the effects of deformations or material failure. It also does not consider dynamic forces, such as vibrations or impacts. Additionally, the moment problem can become more complex when dealing with non-uniform or distributed loads.