Proving existence of unique fixed point on a compact space

In summary, the fixed point theorem states that for any continuous function f: a metric space to a metric space, there exists a unique fixed point in the intersection of all the closed subsets that f is injective on.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##(M,d)## be a metric space and let ##f:M \to M## be a continuous function such that ##d(f(x),f(y))>d(x,y)## for every ##x, y \in M## with ##x≠y##. Prove that ##f## has a unique fixed point

The attempt at a solution.

The easy part is always to prove unicity. Suppose there exist ##x,y##, ##x≠y## : ##x## and ##y## are both fixed points. Then ##d(x,y)=d(f(x),f(y)>d(x,y)##, which is absurd. Then, ##x## must be unique.

Now I have to prove existence and here I had problems:

First I've tried to prove it trying to repeat the standard proof of the fixed point theorem on a complete m.e. with ##f## being a contraction, I mean:

Let ##x## be an arbitrary element in M, I've defined a sequence ##\{x_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N} : x_1=x, x_2=f(x_1)=f(x), x_3=f(x_2)=f^2(x_1)## and, in general, ##x_n=f(x_{n-1})=f^{n-1}(x)##.

As ##M## is compact, there exists ##\{x_{n_k}\}_{k \in \mathbb N}## a convergent subsequence of ##\{x_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}##. Then, ##x_{n_k} \to z##. I would love to apply ##f## and say ##z=lim_{k \to \infty} x_{n_{k+1}}=f(lim_{k \to \infty} x_{k_n})=f(z)## (using that ##f## is continuous), but then I've realized this is completely wrong as ##f(x_{n_k})=x_{n_k+1}≠x_{n_{k+1}}##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found you a theorem. If you can prove it, I think you have your result.

Theorem (Intermediate value theorem for metric spaces): given ##
(S_{1}, d_{1}), (S_{2}, d_{2}), f:E_{1} \rightarrow E_{2}, f ##
is continuous,## E \subseteq S_{1} ## is connected, then## f(E)
\subseteq S_{2} ##is connected.

On further research I find there are a lot of "fixed point" theorems around. Check out the contraction mapping theorem here: http://www.math.tifr.res.in/~publ/ln/tifr26.pdf

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
brmath said:
I found you a theorem. If you can prove it, I think you have your result.

Theorem (Intermediate value theorem for metric spaces): given ##
(S_{1}, d_{1}), (S_{2}, d_{2}), f:E_{1} \rightarrow E_{2}, f ##
is continuous,## E \subseteq S_{1} ## is connected, then## f(E)
\subseteq S_{2} ##is connected.

On further research I find there are a lot of "fixed point" theorems around. Check out the contraction mapping theorem here: http://www.math.tifr.res.in/~publ/ln/tifr26.pdf

I'll try to solve it using that theorem, if I can arrive to a solution, I'll post it. Thanks!

mahler1 said:
I'll try to solve it using that theorem, if I can arrive to a solution, I'll post it. Thanks!

That's good. I have a feeling this is a standard result, and probably quite useful.

Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let ##(M,d)## be a metric space and let ##f:M \to M## be a continuous function such that ##d(f(x),f(y))>d(x,y)## for every ##x, y \in M## with ##x≠y##. Prove that ##f## has a unique fixed point

The easy part is always to prove unicity. Suppose there exist ##x,y##, ##x≠y## : ##x## and ##y## are both fixed points. Then ##d(x,y)=d(f(x),f(y)>d(x,y)##, which is absurd. Then, ##x## must be unique.

First I've tried to prove it trying to repeat the standard proof of the fixed point theorem on a complete m.e. with ##f## being a contraction, I mean:

Let ##x## be an arbitrary element in M, I've defined a sequence ##\{x_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N} : x_1=x, x_2=f(x_1)=f(x), x_3=f(x_2)=f^2(x_1)## and, in general, ##x_n=f(x_{n-1})=f^{n-1}(x)##.

As ##M## is compact, there exists ##\{x_{n_k}\}_{k \in \mathbb N}## a convergent subsequence of ##\{x_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}##. Then, ##x_{n_k} \to z##. I would love to apply ##f## and say ##z=lim_{k \to \infty} x_{n_{k+1}}=f(lim_{k \to \infty} x_{k_n})=f(z)## (using that ##f## is continuous), but then I've realized this is completely wrong as ##f(x_{n_k})=x_{n_k+1}≠x_{n_{k+1}}##.

My instinct is to prove that [itex]f[/itex] is invertible, and apply the contraction mapping theorem to [itex]f^{-1}[/itex]. However it's not that straightforward.
Certainly [itex]f[/itex] is injective: if [itex]x \neq y[/itex] then we have [itex]d(f(x),f(y)) > d(x,y) > 0[/itex] so that necessarily [itex]f(x) \neq f(y)[/itex].

Unfortunately we are not given that [itex]f[/itex] is surjective (although maybe compactness combined with the condition on [itex]f[/itex] requires that; I haven't been able to show that myself). It is however sufficient to find a subset [itex]U \subset M[/itex] such that [itex]f(U) = U[/itex]. The function [itex]f_{U}: U \to U : x \mapsto f(x)[/itex] will then be invertible.

How to find such a [itex]U[/itex]? We have a sequence of nested non-empty closed subsets
[tex]
M = f^0(M) \supseteq f(M) \supseteq \dots \supseteq f^n(M) \supseteq \dots
[/tex]
and one thing to try is to consider the intersection
[tex]
I = \bigcap_{n=0}^{\infty} f^n(M)
[/tex]
which is non-empty by Cantor's intersection theorem. Certainly any fixed point of [itex]f[/itex] must be in this intersection. If we can show that [itex]f(I) = I[/itex] then we will be done.

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
My instinct is to prove that [itex]f[/itex] is invertible, and apply the contraction mapping theorem to [itex]f^{-1}[/itex]. However it's not that straightforward.
Certainly [itex]f[/itex] is injective: if [itex]x \neq y[/itex] then we have [itex]d(f(x),f(y)) > d(x,y) > 0[/itex] so that necessarily [itex]f(x) \neq f(y)[/itex].

Unfortunately we are not given that [itex]f[/itex] is surjective (although maybe compactness combined with the condition on [itex]f[/itex] requires that; I haven't been able to show that myself). It is however sufficient to find a subset [itex]U \subset M[/itex] such that [itex]f(U) = U[/itex]. The function [itex]f_{U}: U \to U : x \mapsto f(x)[/itex] will then be invertible.

How to find such a [itex]U[/itex]? We have a sequence of nested non-empty closed subsets
[tex]
M = f^0(M) \supseteq f(M) \supseteq \dots \supseteq f^n(M) \supseteq \dots
[/tex]
and one thing to try is to consider the intersection
[tex]
I = \bigcap_{n=0}^{\infty} f^n(M)
[/tex]
which is non-empty by Cantor's intersection theorem. Certainly any fixed point of [itex]f[/itex] must be in this intersection. If we can show that [itex]f(I) = I[/itex] then we will be done.

Hmm, I don't know how to prove that ##I=\bigcap_{n=0}^{\infty} f^n(M)## satisfies ##I=f(I)##. Suppose I could prove ##I=f(I)##, is it true that ##I## is compact?, because if not, all I am going to write is absolutely wrong:
Lets prove that ##I## consists of only one point. Suppose there is more than one element. Define ##f:I \times I \to \mathbb R## as ##f(x,y)=d(x,y)##,##f## is a continuous function on a compact metric space (cartesian product of compact sets is compact), then attains a maximum. Then, there exist ##x_1,x_2## such that ##diam(I)=d(x_1,x_2)##. By hypothesis, there are ##y_1, y_2 \in I: f(x_1)=y_1, f(x_2)=y_2##, but ##d(x_1,x_2)<d(f(x_1),f(x_2))##, which is absurd by definition of diameter.

As ##I## consists of only one point, then we have ##\{x\}=I=f(I)=\{f(x)\}##.

So, we've proved existence by defining that nested sequence of sets. In my first post I've proved unicity. Now there are two things left to prove: how can I show that ##I=f(I)##? and, is it true that ##I## is compact?

Your previous answer was very helpful, pasmith. Thanks!

mahler1 said:
Hmm, I don't know how to prove that ##I=\bigcap_{n=0}^{\infty} f^n(M)## satisfies ##I=f(I)##. Suppose I could prove ##I=f(I)##, is it true that ##I## is compact?, because if not, all I am going to write is absolutely wrong:
Lets prove that ##I## consists of only one point. Suppose there is more than one element. Define ##f:I \times I \to \mathbb R## as ##f(x,y)=d(x,y)##,##f## is a continuous function on a compact metric space (cartesian product of compact sets is compact), then attains a maximum. Then, there exist ##x_1,x_2## such that ##diam(I)=d(x_1,x_2)##. By hypothesis, there are ##y_1, y_2 \in I: f(x_1)=y_1, f(x_2)=y_2##, but ##d(x_1,x_2)<d(f(x_1),f(x_2))##, which is absurd by definition of diameter.

As ##I## consists of only one point, then we have ##\{x\}=I=f(I)=\{f(x)\}##.

So, we've proved existence by defining that nested sequence of sets. In my first post I've proved unicity. Now there are two things left to prove: how can I show that ##I=f(I)##? and, is it true that ##I## is compact?

Your previous answer was very helpful, pasmith. Thanks!

You just put your finger on the problem. If M is compact then d:MxM->R attains a maximum. So M must consist of a single point for the reasons you just indicated. So it obviously has a trivial fixed point. I notice 'compact' is only in the title of the thread and your proof. The statement you quoted doesn't mention 'compact'.

Last edited:
Dick said:
You just put your finger on the problem. If M is compact then d:MxM->R attains a maximum. So M must consist of a single point for the reasons you just indicated. So it obviously has a trivial fixed point. I notice 'compact' is only in the title of the thread and your proof. The statement you quoted doesn't mention 'compact'.
Oh, that's simply because I'm an idiot and I didn't notice that I haven't wrote ##M## a COMPACT metric space. That is one of the hypothesis of the problem, and now I cannot edit my original post :(

Wait, now that it's been clarified ##M## is compact, the function I've defined is from ##I \times I \to \mathbb R##, I need compactness of ##I## to say the function attains a maximum

mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

One of the hypothesis of the exercise is that ##M## is a compact metric space, I've forgot to write that.

mahler1 said:
One of the hypothesis of the exercise is that ##M## is a compact metric space, I've forgot to write that.

Sure, sure. But if M is compact, doesn't your argument show M consists of a single point? Forget I.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Sure, sure. But if M is compact, doesn't your argument show M consists of a single point?

Yes, but my argument is based on the fact that ##I=f(I)## and that ##I## is compact, these are two facts I've assumed to be true without proving them because I didn't know how to.

I had another idea to prove the statement without using Cantor's intersection theorem but there is something that doesn't convince me, if you want/can check it, maybe you realize where my mistake is:

In a previous post I've proved that if a fixed point exists, then it must be unique. Now I want to prove existence:
Consider ##f:M \to \mathbb R## defined as ##f(x)=d(x,f(x))##. Since ##f## is continuous, ##f## attains a maximum. Let ##x## be te point where ##f## attains it maximum and let ##D## be the maximum, ##D=d(x,f(x))##, if ##D=0 \implies d(x,f(x))=0 \implies x=f(x)##, so we are done. If ##D>0##, then by hypothesis, ##D=d(x,f(x))<d(f(x),f(f(x)))##, which is absurd since ##D## is the maximum. Then it must be ##D=0## and ##x=f(x)##.

If I read this proof, I think it's correct, but one conclusion of this proof is that for any ##z \in M##, ##0≤d(z,f(z)≤d(x,f(x))=D=0##, then ##d(z,f(z))=0## for every ##z## so all the points are fixed points!. There must be something wrong here and I can't see where.

mahler1 said:
Yes, but my argument is based on the fact that ##I=f(I)## and that ##I## is compact, these are two facts I've assumed to be true without proving them because I didn't know how to.

I had another idea to prove the statement without using Cantor's intersection theorem but there is something that doesn't convince me, if you want/can check it, maybe you realize where my mistake is:

In a previous post I've proved that if a fixed point exists, then it must be unique. Now I want to prove existence:
Consider ##f:M \to \mathbb R## defined as ##f(x)=d(x,f(x))##. Since ##f## is continuous, ##f## attains a maximum. Let ##x## be te point where ##f## attains it maximum and let ##D## be the maximum, ##D=d(x,f(x))##, if ##D=0 \implies d(x,f(x))=0 \implies x=f(x)##, so we are done. If ##D>0##, then by hypothesis, ##D=d(x,f(x))<d(f(x),f(f(x)))##, which is absurd since ##D## is the maximum. Then it must be ##D=0## and ##x=f(x)##.

If I read this proof, I think it's correct, but one conclusion of this proof is that for any ##z \in M##, ##0≤d(z,f(z)≤d(x,f(x))=D=0##, then ##d(z,f(z))=0## for every ##z## so all the points are fixed points!. There must be something wrong here and I can't see where.

All points are fixed points, and there aren't many of them. d:MxM->R is a continuous function from the compact space MxM into R. So it attains a maximum. So there is a D (diam(M)) such that d(x,y)<=D for all x and y in M. There is also an x' and y' such that d(x',y')=D. That d(f(x'),f(y'))>d(x',y')=D is obvious rubbish. So x'=y' and D=0. M consists of a single point. It's the same argument you applied to I.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
All points are fixed points, and there aren't many of them. d:MxM->R is a continuous function from the compact space MxM into R. So it attains a maximum. So there is a D (diam(M)) such that d(x,y)<=D for all x and y in M. There is also an x' and y' such that d(x',y')=D. That d(f(x'),f(y'))>d(x',y')=D is obvious rubbish. So x'=y' and D=0. M consists of a single point. It's the same argument you applied to I.

Ooooh, so the conclusion of my proof would be ##|M|=1##, I thought about it but I still kept suspecting there was something wrong with the proof. Thanks!

mahler1 said:
Ooooh, so the conclusion of my proof would be ##|M|=1##, I thought about it but I still kept suspecting there was something wrong with the proof. Thanks!

Welcome! The whole thing does seem like kind of a cheat. Didn't need to use f is continuous. Etc, etc. I still wonder if they didn't mean to ask a somewhat different question. But it is true that compact metric spaces don't have mappings like that. Unless the metric space is has a single point.

Last edited:

1. What is a fixed point on a compact space?

A fixed point on a compact space is a point that does not change when a certain transformation or mapping is applied. In other words, the point remains in the same location before and after the transformation is applied.

2. Why is it important to prove the existence of a unique fixed point on a compact space?

Proving the existence of a unique fixed point on a compact space is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of the space. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the space based on the fixed point.

3. What methods can be used to prove the existence of a unique fixed point on a compact space?

There are several methods that can be used to prove the existence of a unique fixed point on a compact space, including the Brouwer fixed-point theorem, the Kakutani fixed-point theorem, and the Schauder fixed-point theorem. These methods use different mathematical techniques and assumptions to prove the existence of a fixed point.

4. Can a compact space have more than one fixed point?

Yes, a compact space can have more than one fixed point. However, proving the existence of a unique fixed point means that there is only one fixed point on the space, which is important for certain mathematical applications and proofs.

5. Are there any real-world applications for proving the existence of a unique fixed point on a compact space?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for proving the existence of a unique fixed point on a compact space. For example, it is used in economics to study market equilibria, in physics to study the behavior of chaotic systems, and in computer science to develop efficient algorithms and data structures.