1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving inequalities

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For real numbers x and y prove the following:

llxl - lyll < (or equal to) lx - yl

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Im not really sure where to start, i was considering cases where x < 0 and say y< 0 and what that would imply say x-y would be. But im not sure how to continue.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: What is [itex](|x|-|y|)^2[/itex]?...How about [itex](|x-y|)^2[/itex]?

4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    You may need to consider a couple cases. There may be a little trick to doing this one.
    I would say look at | x | equals and then look at what | y | equals.
    So maybe add an subtract some thing to x, do the same for y. Then the triangle inequality says that
    | a + b | <= |a| + |b| . This should be helpful in solving this. Does that help?

5. Nov 3, 2008 #4
    ok, thankyou - i will have ago, althought im not very good at proving things! Also what does the double modulus sign mean?

6. Nov 3, 2008 #5
    Me either, I think it just takes a lot of patience. I may be misunderstanding your question, but I believe the fact that there is this nested absolute value in the inequality is done to provide a relationship that you will find useful, especially with sequences. I remember a couple of proofs that I would not have gotten without knowing the statement you are trying to prove.

Conceptually though it makes sense. Think about the modulus (absolute value) sign as a measure. Then what the statement below is saying something obvious. That if you have take the absolute value of some number A it will always be positive, likewise for B. So | A | - | B | is guaranteed to be less than A. On the other hand A - B is not guaranteed to be less than A, suppose A is positive and B is negative. And so the distance between | |A| - |B| | <= | A - B|. Or at least, that is how I conceptualize absolute values. There is also an inequality way to interprer them. Let k be some positive number. Then | x | <= k iff
    -k <= x <= k

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?