1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Integral of a Product

1. Nov 30, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that
    2. Relevant equations
    Basically, the question also tells you that you should somehow use the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is pretty much asking me to prove that the derivative of f(x)g(x) is just f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x)...and then I could use the fundamental theorem of calculus to say that the integral of the derivative is just the function itself.

It seems pretty self-explanatory to me, so I havn't got a clue on where to start on this proof, I would appreciate a tip or two to help me get started:rolleyes:

here's what I got so far. I don't know if this is right or wrong, so I would appreciate some comment on it

[tex]let G(x)=f(x)g(x)[/tex]
    [tex]then G'(x)=f'(x)g(x)+f(x)g'(x)[/tex]

[tex]\therefore f(x)g(x)-f(0)g(0) = G(x) - G(0)[/tex]
    [tex]\int^x_0 f'(t)g(t)dt+f(t)g'(t)dt[/tex]
    [tex]=\int^x_0 G'(t)dt[/tex]
    fundamental theorem of calculus states that:
    [tex]\int^x_a G'(t)dt = G(x)|^x_a[/tex]
    [tex]\therefore \int^x_0 G'(t)dt = G(x)|^x_0=G(x)-G(0) = f(x)g(x)-f(0)g(0)[/tex]

sorry if the equations are not aligned properly, I'm a newbie at LaTex, thx all.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I think that's pretty much all you need to do.

Just as a detail on how to write it out, I would leave out the 3rd line "therefore f(x)g(x) ....." because you the same thing again in the last line, and it comes straight from your definition of the function G so it's pretty obvious.

When you say "therefore" on line 3 it might make a reader think that line 3 follows from line 2, which is misleading.

The key point (as you said) is to notice that f(x)g'(x) + f'(x)g(x) is the derivative of f(x)g(x). The rest is just notation, really.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?