Proving Kirchoff's Laws algebraically

• Thread starter shyguy79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, Kirchoff's laws can be used to calculate the potential differences between points in a circuit, and the direction of flow has an effect on the sign of the variable.
shyguy79

Homework Statement

From the attached file using Kirchoff's laws prove that V AB = V AD and that i1 = i/2

Homework Equations

V1 + V2 + V3 +... Vn = 0 (The sum of the voltage applied and dropped across the components is zero.
i1 + i2 = i3 (The sum of the branch currents is equal to the total current)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I was ok with algebraic manipulation but this has stumped me :-( any pointers would be appreciated as always!

Attachments

• Circuit-Series-Parallel.jpg
    Circuit-Series-Parallel.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get when you tried to apply Kirchoff's laws to the circuit?

Hi, as there are no figures given it looks like I'm expected to do prove everything using algebra...

I've calculated hypothetic values - say V = 12v, R total = 16Ω and i total = 0.75A and everything seems to add up but I'm afraid my algebra manipulation skills are somewhat limited.

For example I've tried that if: V ab = V ad and i1 = i - i2 and i2 = i -i1 (Kirchoffs 2nd Law) then i1 R0 = i2 R0 but don't know where to go now

You can't assume VAB=VAD because that's what you're trying to prove.

Applying KCL to node A gives you ##i = i_1 + i_2 ##. I'm assuming all currents are flowing left to right. What do you get if you apply it to nodes B, C, and D?

B: i3 = i1
C: i = i3 + i4
D: i4 = i2

Great! So we can eliminate i3 and i4 because we know they're equal to i1 and i2 respectively, and the equation for node C tells us the same thing as the equation for node A.

Now apply KVL to the loop ABCDA. What do you get?

VT - i1R0 - i1R0 - i2R0 - i2R0 = 0
VT = VAB + VBC + VDC + VAD
VT = R0 (i1+i1+i2+i2)
VT = R0 (2i1 + 2i2)

But I don't understand how V AB can be described as V AD

or even

VT = VAB + VBC + VDC + VAD

Last edited:
shyguy79 said:
VT - i1R0 - i1R0 - i2R0 - i2R0 = 0
This isn't quite right. Across the four resistors, Ohm's Law tells us the potential differences are

VAB=i1R0
VBC=i1R0
VAD=i2R0
VDC=i2R0

where the higher potential is at the left end of each resistor (where the current enters). So starting at A and going clockwise around the loop, we first encounter a voltage drop VAB and then another drop VBC, but going from C to D, the potential increases by VDC because we are going from right to left, and again from D to A by VAD. So KVL gives us

- VAB - VBC + VDC + VAD = 0

Note that VT doesn't enter into the picture because the battery is not part of the loop ABCDA. So plugging in the values above, you get

-i1R0-i1R0+i2R0-i2R0=0

Oh, I see! So the direction of flow has a direct effect on the sign of the variable! Cool, there are a few more questions in this assignment but I think I understand.

Thank you for all your help!

1. What are Kirchoff's Laws?

Kirchoff's Laws are fundamental principles in circuit analysis that describe the behavior of electric currents and voltages in a closed circuit. These laws are used to calculate the currents and voltages at different points in a circuit.

2. How can Kirchoff's Laws be proven algebraically?

Kirchoff's Laws can be proven algebraically by using Ohm's Law and applying it to the different branches and loops in a circuit. By setting up equations for each branch and loop, Kirchoff's Laws can be derived and proven.

3. Why is proving Kirchoff's Laws algebraically important?

Proving Kirchoff's Laws algebraically is important because it provides a mathematical basis for understanding the behavior of electric circuits. It allows for precise calculations and predictions of current and voltage values, which are essential in circuit design and troubleshooting.

4. What are the limitations of proving Kirchoff's Laws algebraically?

One limitation of proving Kirchoff's Laws algebraically is that it assumes ideal conditions, such as linear components and no external interference. In reality, these ideal conditions may not always hold true, leading to some discrepancies between the calculated and actual values.

5. How is Kirchoff's Laws used in real-world applications?

Kirchoff's Laws are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing and analyzing electrical circuits in electronics, power systems, and telecommunications. They are also used in other fields, such as fluid dynamics, to analyze the flow of currents and voltages in a system.