Proving ln(x) using infinite series

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a given series of steps done with the number "x" and the resulting value being ln(x). The question asks for a proof that this is not a coincidence. The conversation also mentions using Hopital's rule and manipulating the equation to come up with a sequence for ln(x). Ultimately, the conversation suggests using the reverse function to show that ln(x) can be represented as a limit.
darewinder

Homework Statement

Well we are given a series of steps done with the number "x" and in the end the end value is ln(x). Basically we are asked to prove why it isn't a coincedience

Homework Equations

I put the steps into an equation, but i can't prove it.

ln(x) =[tex]^{lim }_{n->inf}[/tex] [tex](x^\frac{1} {2^n} -1)*2^n[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well plugging in gives me inf times 0 so i thought of solving it using Hopital's rule but i can't get to a form where it is 0/0. I tried factoring, rationalizing but i couldn't get anywhere. I would appreciate if you guys can help me do this little bit.

and I would also appreciate if anyone can show me how to come up with a sequence for this. Second part of the question askes me to come up with my own limit of a sequence to get ln(x). I just flipped changed the sine of - inside the brackets to make it + and added the minus sign to the -2n at the end, but that's like the same thing. So if you guys can give me some ideas it would be great! :)

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since n only occurs in 2n, you can simplify by letting a= 2n. Then the problem becomes showing that
[tex]ln(x)= \lim_{a\rightarrow \infty}(x^(1/a)-1)(a)[/tex]

Now I would be inclined to "reverse" the function: If y= (x1/a-1)(a), then x= (y/a+ 1)a. Do you recognize the limit of that as a common formula for ey? And if x= ey, then y= ln(x).

tanks a bunch ill get back on you on the reverse function let me work it out. I am eating right now :) But the limit makes sense (argg why didn't i think of that)

hmm i have a question about this, x= (y/a+ 1)a.

Wouldn't x=1 when we take the limit as a>>inf?

Thanks for your help

never mind i see how x wouldn't equal to 1 because y has some "a" terms in it so we don't know the ratio. But i don't see how x = e^y. Is the x formula like an equation for the e function?

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of ln(x)?

The natural logarithm of x, denoted as ln(x), is the inverse function of the exponential function. It is the logarithm with base e, where e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828.

2. How can ln(x) be expressed using infinite series?

ln(x) can be expressed as an infinite series using the following formula: ln(x) = (x-1) - (1/2)(x-1)^2 + (1/3)(x-1)^3 - (1/4)(x-1)^4 + ...

3. What is the purpose of using infinite series to prove ln(x)?

Using infinite series allows us to approximate the value of ln(x) to a desired level of accuracy. It also provides a way to evaluate ln(x) for values that are not easily calculable using traditional methods.

4. How many terms of the infinite series are needed to accurately prove ln(x)?

The number of terms needed for accurate approximation depends on the desired level of accuracy and the value of x. Generally, the more terms used, the more accurate the approximation will be.

5. Can ln(x) be proven using other methods besides infinite series?

Yes, there are other methods to prove ln(x), such as using the derivative of ln(x) or using properties of logarithms. However, infinite series is a commonly used and versatile method for proving ln(x).