1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Markov's Inequality (Probability)

1. Jan 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [itex]g(x)\ge 0[/itex], then for any constant ##c>0, r>0##:

[itex]P(g(X)\ge c)\le \frac{E((g(X))^r)}{c^r}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

I know that [itex]E(g(X))=\int_0^\infty g(x)f(x)dx[/itex] if [itex]g(x)\ge 0[/itex] where ##f(x)## is the pdf of ##X##.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried following a similar proof to what I found here (on page 2: http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~larry/=stat705/Lecture2.pdf).

I'm really stuck on this. I've tried to look on the Internet for a proof, but the inequalities I find involve X, not g(X) and there isn't any exponent ##r##. I tried doing something similar by replacing X with g(X) but it doesn't quite work out. I still need an exponent ##r## and I don't know how the last step would get me to write something like [itex]c^r P(g(x)\ge c)[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose [itex]g(x)[/itex] has a pdf. Let's call the pdf [itex]f[/itex]. Then
    $$P(g(x) \geq c) = \int_c^\infty f(y) dy$$
    In this integral, we have [itex]y \geq c[/itex]. If [itex]r > 0[/itex] and [itex]c > 0[/itex], then this implies [itex]y^r \geq c^r[/itex]. This in turn is equivalent to [itex]1 \leq y^r/c^r[/itex]. What's the natural next step?

For the more general case in which [itex]g(x)[/itex] does not necessarily admit a pdf, the proof should be similar, except you would use a Stieltjes integral.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook